Strange growth on clown

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed it a few days ago as a lump that was so small I wasn't sure it was actually there. Then it kept growing and now almost looks like it exploded. None of the other fish have this and the clown is acting normally. Alert, swimming right, still goes after anything that gets near his hammer home and eating well. Does anyone know what it is? My first thought was HLLE but I have a yellow tang that had that and this doesn't look the same. Plus there is no current in the water, I checked with a meter.
clown deseaes.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't HLLE. What you are describing does seem like it is an abscess that grew and then popped open. Most of those are bacterial in nature.

Can you post a short video? I want to try and figure out if the fish has a systemic problem. If it does, you might need to treat it in a quarantine tank. If the abscess is drained and not systemic, it might heal on its own.

What caused it though? Tough to say, could it have been spiked by a bristleworm?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree with Jay. Like a ruptured cyst on a human, its now an open would and should be treated. Maracyn 2, or ruby rally pro are the ones I would use for this

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back