Strange question?

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically I started my tank from scratch at the beginning of January. New live rock, new sand, fresh water.
By the beginning of February my cycle was done and I added a couple of fish and a few cuc.
Now 9 weeks in, a couple more fish and more hermits, shrimps, snails etc I'm at a point where I'm expecting or expected something to go wrong but it hasn't!

I've kept freshwater fish on and off for 30 years but only just took the plunge into reefing.
Lots of forums, YouTube videos and research has taught me a heck of a lot but mainly as well as how to do it, but of course lots of "how NOT to do it"

I've read about the pitfalls like algae blooms, sudden spikes in areas of the nitrogen cycle etc but I've had algae probably cover about 5-10% of my total rock area, a bit on sand and a few spots on glass but no outbreak.
I test my parameters every 2 days and everything is 0 except nitrate which hovers at around 30ppm with pH sitting at 8

After everything I've read and seen I'm gobsmacked that everything is going so well! Am I right to be proud of my achievements so far or am I getting too comfy too soon?

I know about the ugly stage or new tank syndrome so roughly when is this supposed to happen? Also as I'm looking to get corals at some point, isn't it best to get a good coverage of coraline algae growing first? And if so, how do I get that going?

All knowledge greatly received!

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but I have maintained my tank for about 2 years and I am always learning. Putting that aside, what kind of corals are you planning on getting? Also did you test for phosphates? It can be bad not having phosphates in your system as it can cause dino outbreak which I currently have going on right now.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly stage in your case will be dependent on your light at 30ppm you should be starting to see algae. If you aren't running reef lighting then you probably aren't going to have a really ugly phase until/if you get that lighting.

Keep going slow. One step then wait. Next step then wait. Corralline is a good first step.

Don't get too enamored over your parameters you aren't really doing anything yet. Depending on the corals you get you are going to find that holding parameters is not as easy as it is now.

Just don't move fast and ignore the tank a lot so that it can do it's magic while you are not looking. People get into a mindset that something needs to happen quickly in their tank. This is destructive, try to avoid it. This is like a bonsai it takes time. Making the right moves at the right time is what creates success.

GLHF. :)

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so far!
Since first researching reefing, if there's one thing I have picked up on its a lot of "take it slow" and although it's nice to just chuck a load of beauty in the tank, I'm also very aware of the terrible consequences this can have.

I have just done a separate post on corals and a few questions around what I'm looking for.
That aside, I do have a proper reef light which is on for about 2 hours with just blues, then 6 hours on full spectrum, then the last 30 minutes on blues again.
All told that's not a huge amount of light but initial thoughts were I don't want to overload my tank with algae then struggle to be rid of it but on the other hand when I do get corals, if they needs a lighting demand of 10-12 hours, am I going to get the algae problem then when I've heard it can be problematic for corals?

That in mind, am I better off upping the light time to overcome the ugly phase now rather than later?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals essentially have algae in them. Algae is something that happens.

One of the observations that I have had is that different things come in waves. Something will bloom up and then when proper competition comes in will die down. Never quite leaving but never really becoming and issue. It is the multiple waves of things that brings the stability over time.

Right now my new tank is a coral killer. I am starting into what people call the ugly phase but I just see it as the algae sorting itself out. It seems without the algae pool my corals did really poorly, with the newer algae pool, the test corals I put in are starting to look a bit better. Not good, better. This will take time and I have an established tank that I can frag from indefinitely. I will keep doing this until something takes hold. People want to intervene in this process and all they end up doing is short circuiting it and drawing it out.

All of this is part of the process. A lot of people with really nice tanks don't want to show this part because people will think that they don't know what they are doing. They do and they understand that it is an integral part of the process of getting to the really beautiful reef tank. :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae will happen no matter what. Have to get through the uglies before coraline finally catches up. My ugliest phase was around 5 or 6 months in. Best thing you can do it keep your nitrate and phosphate in check.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome btw!

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have to say I'm loving it on this forum. It's the friendliest place and no-one moans or digs at anyone for anything. It's a bit like we're all learning and all teaching at the same time!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have to say I'm loving it on this forum. It's the friendliest place and no-one moans or digs at anyone for anything. It's a bit like we're all learning and all teaching at the same time!
You've definitely got the right impression. Glad to have you with us.

Back