Strange sleeping spots for fish: what’s your strangest?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many posts about clownfish sleeping behaviors. I’ve had my share of clownfish that sleep in odd spots. Literally pinned against overflow? Check. In an old 7” clam shell like a bed? Check. Floating on the surface in the corner like it’s dead? Check.

I’ve had fire fish over the years and they always found a nice little bolt hole cave/opening under the rocks to sleep.

I just got a new firefish a couple weeks ago and it found a spot under a rock. No big deal. That is until I noticed something different two nights ago.....

I have mostly pre-ban real reef rock. But this last year I redid part of my scape and used Marco rock from Premium Aquatics. Jason picked me out a couple big pieces. I drilled these big pieces, weighing about 8-10lbs each using a long 5/8 cement bit and went all the way through from multiple directions to create a tube network. Specifically for small fish to find refuge.

well, two nights ago I see my firefish’s TAIL sticking out of a tube by about 1/2”. The diameter of the tube isn’t much bigger than its body. It looked like the rock is eating the fish.

for the last three nights, the firefish has plugged itself head first in to a hole in the rock to sleep with just a bit of tail sticking out.

so what are some strange sleeping habits you’ve seen in your fish?

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face used to stick himself to the side of one of the power heads at night and just let the suction hold him there while he slept. I eventually moved that pump to a better spot for some new corals and he had a VERY dramatic protest about it.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who watches their fish while they sleep? Creepy.
tenor.gif

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face used to stick himself to the side of one of the power heads at night and just let the suction hold him there while he slept. I eventually moved that pump to a better spot for some new corals and he had a VERY dramatic protest about it.
Did you think he was dead the first time you saw it and poke him to check? When my clown did similar to the overflow, I admit, I poked him...he didn’t like being woken up.

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you think he was dead the first time you saw it and poke him to check? When my clown did similar to the overflow, I admit, I poked him...he didn’t like being woken up.
No but when I moved the pump he played dead and laid on the sand. Didn't even flinch when I poked him. Only moved when he saw me come in with the net to get him out lol.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inadvertently turned on the moonlight feature on my A360x lights recently. Last night, my dogs woke me up at 2 am. While they were outside, I observed the tank. I discovered my 3 chromis lined up against the back glass like they were in a police line up.

It also turns out that the cave I was going to use for a potential Marine Betta is the sleeping quarters for my 4" Saddleback. That scrubs a Betta for now. Glub is not a nice fish and that could turn out very badly.

The pajama cardinals were doing what they always do - just floating around the middle of the tank. I swear, these are the most boring fish ever.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite having lots of caves my FoxFace sleeps out in the open leaning against the front glass pane.

I even moved some rock around to create a huge sleeping corner and he still sleeps out in the open.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orchid dottyback that sleeps in this old turbo snail shell that’s out in the open on the sand bed. He’s dug out several little holes under rocks throughout the tank that he uses throughout the day, but at night he goes back to his little shell (which he never uses during the day).

ReefKidDarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many posts about clownfish sleeping behaviors. I’ve had my share of clownfish that sleep in odd spots. Literally pinned against overflow? Check. In an old 7” clam shell like a bed? Check. Floating on the surface in the corner like it’s dead? Check.

I’ve had fire fish over the years and they always found a nice little bolt hole cave/opening under the rocks to sleep.

I just got a new firefish a couple weeks ago and it found a spot under a rock. No big deal. That is until I noticed something different two nights ago.....

I have mostly pre-ban real reef rock. But this last year I redid part of my scape and used Marco rock from Premium Aquatics. Jason picked me out a couple big pieces. I drilled these big pieces, weighing about 8-10lbs each using a long 5/8 cement bit and went all the way through from multiple directions to create a tube network. Specifically for small fish to find refuge.

well, two nights ago I see my firefish’s TAIL sticking out of a tube by about 1/2”. The diameter of the tube isn’t much bigger than its body. It looked like the rock is eating the fish.

for the last three nights, the firefish has plugged itself head first in to a hole in the rock to sleep with just a bit of tail sticking out.

so what are some strange sleeping habits you’ve seen in your fish?
my harlequin husk sleeps in my back wall gsp. Ill take a picture tonight!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back