Strange white fuzz growth in calcium dosing reservior

ReefEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I noticed this strange white stuff growing in my calcium reservoir. Its a Neptune DDR and reservoir 2 contains BRS calcium chloride made with a 7 stage BRS RODI unit. I have ruled out the calcium solution in that the original mixing container is completely free of the white stuff. I have emptied the DDR and cleaned it with vinegar, rinsed it, then cleaned it with Hydrogen Peroxide and rinsed again. After siphoning the water and removing the optical sensor and siphon tube for cleaning I allowed everything to air dry for a full week. I added new batch of Calcium solution and after about 4 days to my disappointment the white stuff had returned. Since then I've started using a different Neptune DDR, new Neptune tubing, new DDR pump head for the calcium dosing, new calcium mixing container and a new calcium chloride pack from BRS. Even after all of this the white stuff returned. Can anyone help ID this stuff? Has anyone had any type of growth in their calcium dosing containers?

IMG-6249.jpeg IMG-6251.jpeg IMG_3491a.jpg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like a sponge.

OP
OP
R

ReefEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a calcium reservoir meaning its RODI, more recently distilled water, mixed with calcium chloride.

Here are some additional pictures.

IMG_4995.JPG IMG_5001.JPG IMG_5002.JPG IMG_5011.JPG IMG_5012.JPG

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use c balance and i get the same thing...i dont worry about them. I figured a fungus of sorts myself

OP
OP
R

ReefEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice to know I'm not the only person in the world with this going on so thanks! Hopefully someone can help with the ID.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can your reservoir get light? My front side is clear to see the fluids and i think light spill from the fuge aids in the growth of whatever it is...

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's nice to know I'm not the only person in the world with this going on so thanks! Hopefully someone can help with the ID.
I get the same thing using esv bionic. The first year or so it kept bothering me, so every now and then I would thoroughly clean everything. I chalked it up to just nothing to worry about. My two part containers don't get any outside lighting whatsoever.

OP
OP
R

ReefEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @reef lover and @Sabellafella for your input so far. I ran this by the team at BRS and they came back with filamentous bacteria. I've found some matches to the pictures in the original post after running a google search but have yet to identify the exact type of bacteria. Perhaps something from the ground soil that is going airborne?

Do you guys see any signs of this in your tank or sump?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in the sump or tank. I dont let it concern me much.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten this in 2 part also not sure how. it develops in the calcium chloride from BRS, and tropic marin AFR, and balling c solutions for me. I let it go for a little bit, but it stops me from having 5 gallon buckets of 2 part mixed up...I wish

OP
OP
R

ReefEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten this in 2 part also not sure how. it develops in the calcium chloride from BRS, and tropic marin AFR, and balling c solutions for me. I let it go for a little bit, but it stops me from having 5 gallon buckets of 2 part mixed up...I wish

@thatmanMIKEson Thanks so much for taking the time to share. Do you mix the BRS calcium chloride and Balling C with RODI water? What containers are the solutions stored in when you see the white stuff developing?

Coincidentally I just cleaned by calcium reservoir, dosing lines and DOS pump head with a diluted bleach solution. Something I do every 6-12 months. About a year ago I switched to 1 gallon glass jugs to mix up the solution and also use distilled water with the BRS calcium chloride and the white stuff doesn't develop in there. I'm guessing it's the acrylic somhow feeding the the air/waterborne bacteria. I keep the Balling C in a BRS 1 gallon plastic jug and mix with RODI water however I've never seen the stuff grown in there. Might be because that solution goes twice as quick as the calcium chloride.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@thatmanMIKEson Thanks so much for taking the time to share. Do you mix the BRS calcium chloride and Balling C with RODI water? What containers are the solutions stored in when you see the white stuff developing?

Coincidentally I just cleaned by calcium reservoir, dosing lines and DOS pump head with a diluted bleach solution. Something I do every 6-12 months. About a year ago I switched to 1 gallon glass jugs to mix up the solution and also use distilled water with the BRS calcium chloride and the white stuff doesn't develop in there. I'm guessing it's the acrylic somhow feeding the the air/waterborne bacteria. I keep the Balling C in a BRS 1 gallon plastic jug and mix with RODI water however I've never seen the stuff grown in there. Might be because that solution goes twice as quick as the calcium chloride.
hey, im glad you mentioned that because i left out i store all my mixtures in brs 1gallon mixing jugs and it does not grow in there, but they get stored in a dark closet. i fill my reservoirs twice with the 1 gallon in 3-4months. i ve never seen it in the soda ash.

it does seem to only grow in the acrylic now that you point that out........

you have no issue with the bleach in your system ive thought about rinsing everything with bleach but im pretty good about using r.o water for rinsing everything i dont use tap, only on socks but those get bleach and several r.o rinses.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back