Strange "worm" in my tank?

Saltywaterbox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last night, while the lights were dimming, I noticed some strange, small, white, worm-like creatures that would come out of the sandbed and swim as quickly as they could to the surface of the water. If and when they hit the surface of the water they almost fizzle out into a ton of tiny, what I assume, are spores/eggs. Sometimes the fish would eat them before they could make it to the surface.

What are they? I'm guessing some kind of internal parasite and this is how they sexually breed.

I'm sorry but I couldn't get a picture or video while it was happening.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last night, while the lights were dimming, I noticed some strange, small, white, worm-like creatures that would come out of the sandbed and swim as quickly as they could to the surface of the water. If and when they hit the surface of the water they almost fizzle out into a ton of tiny, what I assume, are spores/eggs. Sometimes the fish would eat them before they could make it to the surface.

What are they? I'm guessing some kind of internal parasite and this is how they sexually breed.

I'm sorry but I couldn't get a picture or video while it was happening.
detritus worms, or just bubbles. Pics? Likely not an internal parasite, otherwise it would likely be internal.

OP
OP
Saltywaterbox

Saltywaterbox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that it is some part of a reproductive cycle for this internal parasite?

Definitely not bubbles. They would wiggle and swim really fast to the surface. Then once they hit the surface it would almost look like snow raining back down into the water as they dissolved.

If I happen to catch it again, I will grab a video.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that it is some part of a reproductive cycle for this internal parasite?

Definitely not bubbles. They would wiggle and swim really fast to the surface. Then once they hit the surface it would almost look like snow raining back down into the water as they dissolved.

If I happen to catch it again, I will grab a video.
internal parasites don't really do that. most of them reproduce inside the host, not in the sand or at the waters surface. I would still say detritus worm.

Back