Stranger Danger! How do you feel about people in your house?

Do you allow strangers into your home for aquarium related activities?

• Yes

Votes: 174 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 308 45.3%
  • Depends (please explain)

Votes: 192 28.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 0.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reefing hobby is one of those things that MOST of us like to share with others. The problem is that many of our "regular" friends don't understand the hobby and really can't appreciate it like another hobbyist can. Reefing also involves being able to grow corals and with that comes the opportunity to sell frags to people....strangers. Many of these strangers will become local hobby friends but at first they are still strangers coming to your home to see your tank or buy something! Let's talk about that today!

1. How comfortable are you with allowing a stranger in your home to look at your aquarium or to buy things?

2. Have you ever made a life long friend meeting a stranger this way?

3. Do you have any horror stories?

image via @hbrochs
09edd029f3f25e014b3817b559681b36.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife wouldn’t allow anyone into my home due to the current situation. I let my longtime friend come in as I replaced my RODI setup. I was having trouble with getting the TDS lower than my old set up. I had to let him in. I had to sell my wife so hard for that one.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell some coral locally, but will NOT let anyone in my house or give my address, always a meet up somewhere, like a local LFS or a parking lot with high amount of foot traffic.

I literally do not trust anyone I meet from FB or other social media. Always carrying, and meet at locations I choose. I got a bad seller review because I wouldn't walk over to a guys car to "see what he has to trade". Haven't wanted to sell coral to individuals since, stick mainly to selling to local LFS

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had club meetings in my home. Other reef keepers that are in town or new. I also had a home school group of kids come in for a educational section with parents.
In the current state of our society, I would not let strangers in regularly as we have kids and one high risk child. However, I love showing off the system and tanks.
Any work person that comes in (plumber, electrician, carpet installers, etc) get a little tour. Cannot help myself. Granted, only if they show a tiny or vaguest interest. :)

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several local reefers come over for trading or selling frags. Most of them I had spent time online communicating with them prior to making deals. Have had no issues. I do put my dogs outside the first time or two I meet someone new as to not let my dogs gain trust in them till I trust them. They wont let anyone they do not know in if we are not home. I also concealed carry everyday anyway so I just make sure I armed discreetly armed as usual.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am restarting my tank, so not selling anything right now. When I did trade and sell, I almost always met people somewhere besides my house.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had club meetings. The rare occasions that someone has come over have been people who are known in my local club. So I haven't known them personally, but they've been friends of friends whom others have vouched for. And I make sure my husband will be home.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With current situations now... NO

My reefing buddies though they are an exception, but anyone I am meeting to trade or sell to its social distancing and mask time baby!

Oh and a local spot so I'm not getting blindsided here LOL

giphy.gif

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a condo, so if people are buying from me, they meet me in the main lobby (and I don’t give them a unit number).

Pre-pandemic, if a neighbour wanted to see the tank, I would welcome them in.

When I was a kid, there was an old man at the end of the block and his entire basement was dedicated to breeding fish. He had dozens of tanks. I can't remember what he bred now. He always loved showing all the kids in the neighborhood his fish. I would love to follow in his footsteps, sharing the wonder.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't allow anybody in our house until we get the vaccine for COVID-19.

But normally I sell a fair amount of coral. Mostly to local club members, but if I have left overs, I sell them on Craigslist and then try to rope them into our club!

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell some coral locally, but will NOT let anyone in my house or give my address, always a meet up somewhere, like a local LFS or a parking lot with high amount of foot traffic.

I literally do not trust anyone I meet from FB or other social media. Always carrying, and meet at locations I choose. I got a bad seller review because I wouldn't walk over to a guys car to "see what he has to trade". Haven't wanted to sell coral to individuals since, stick mainly to selling to local LFS
That's a sad story. Sad in the way that it is a fact how a lot of people feel these days in this country. Not trusting anyone. The funny (strange) thing about it is, the easier it has become to communicate the more we distrust eachother. And with Covid 19 with us it may be getting worse. Yes I'm gonna say it. "back in the day" you put a ad in the local paper in the classified section and we actually went to their house to see it. Imagin that.

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't let anyone in to see the tanks, not even my parents (and that's with plenty of pushback). Texas is still up there with the worst stats for Covid, ugh.. Trying to keep the larger tank downstairs a secret ;) I'm sure I'd get some negative judgement on that purchase!

When purchasing corals or other things locally, I like to meet up in public places like the grocery store parking lot. Had one person say I needed to meet them at their house and I wasn't very comfortable with that. Waited for a few days until they were available to meet at a store near them. It's unfortunate that our nature has to be suspicious of others but that's what it takes to make sure one of those horror stories doesn't happen to us. You really never know who you're talking to on Facebook or other social media and the best practice is a safe practice. I'm sure a ton of people near me are fabulous people but I'm also sure there are a few that aren't.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i voted Depends. I own my home. I believe in hospitality. I am male. I am comfortable with the way I live, which is 'messy'. I enjoy my hobby. I do not invite strangers into my house without reason. being new to the hobby i am the stranger going to people's houses to buy stuff. some of them invited me in. I could see the possibility of developing friendships with them more than the ones who met me at the door to conduct the transaction. But I recently helped with a club frozen food buy by distributing the food from my garage. When these members came to pick up, some I knew, some i did not, several of them expressed interest in what i had and it was a pleasure to show them what i had going. This was very comfortable to me. I am not apprehensive about my health so that is a plus. I am also comfortable with denying access to my personal space to anyone who I sense is predatory or sketchy.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never allow craigslist/offerup people into my house, they are the shadiest people!
The exception is reefers. They are always welcome I've been selling frags for years and in all of that time met nothing but nice people and had great experiences! It's just a different crowd!
But I have taken a break from having people over these days due to covid

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a sad story. Sad in the way that it is a fact how a lot of people feel these days in this country. Not trusting anyone. The funny (strange) thing about it is, the easier it has become to communicate the more we distrust eachother. And with Covid 19 with us it may be getting worse. Yes I'm gonna say it. "back in the day" you put a ad in the local paper in the classified section and we actually went to their house to see it. Imagin that.
Agreed, I do not subscribe to this level of paranoia. Fellow reefers are always welcome to visit and see my tank.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had A handful of folks met here on the forum over to check out the tanks and talk shop. They've all become friends beyond the tanks too. Ive had everyone from the mail man, UPS, FedEx or Amazon in if they have any interest. Usually the “Live Fish” boxes being delivered Or blue glow prompts the conversation.

When buying or selling publicly however I generally meet people someplace.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back