Stranger Danger! How do you feel about people in your house?

Do you allow strangers into your home for aquarium related activities?

• Yes

Votes: 174 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 308 45.3%
  • Depends (please explain)

Votes: 192 28.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 0.9%

• Total voters

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold some frags to a guy quite awhile ago, he was one of the nicest guys I've met in the hobby. A few years later I see him on the news for breaking into houses and hiding in the basements stalking numerous people and theft.

first off people change, and not always for the better as you saw. I have heard some of you are armed, some of you check out people, some of you protect your solitude. There is no right or wrong. Just wrong people at times in wrong places. We all have to do what we feel comfortable doing. Live your life and stay safe. I have 17 years in law enforcement and know the risks out there. I have never let someone into my home that have not been referred to me by a mutual friend of that I have not met on here and researched first. Remember a person wishing to harm you will have the benefit of surprise.

Shelley

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't give my address to strangers let alone allow access to my home. no no no

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the joys of this hobby is to be able to show and share the success with others. Sharing online is fine but sharing in person (and also visiting others) is the reason why I am still in this hobby after 14 years. Only a fellow hobbiest can understand the beauty of that sps or Goni.

I would not want to keep it in my basement to keep it as a biggest secret. I do have plenty of cameras in the house and safety features(not to be disclosed). I also check rating here before giving address. Also, they go straight to the basement when they arrive at home. Some in this world spoil it for others. I don’t like to be ruled by exception. Rather take precautions to filter them out.

Having said all this, doors are closed till vaccines are available.

Sam

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SamsReef I would love to have folks over that would understand the work and joy involved in keeping our tanks. I would find ways of being able to trust them while getting to know them. There just really are not to many here in Casper Wyoming. :( I am a social butterfly by nature.

Shelley

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s just me but I could NEVER let someone strange in my house.

I’m struggling how to do vacations but my bf thinks it’s fine to let some stranger take care of the cats and aquariums when we go on vacations-no way.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangers are friends you haven’t met yet.
i am a realtor so I am always meeting strangers at open houses. I make cold call and reach out to strangers all day.
I meet strangers to show them homes.
I have never had a problem.
The way I see it if you have a reef tank you can’t be that bad of a person.

Before covid if you came over to buy frags I always
Have a fridge full of beers and reefing stories.

we have a huge reefing community in NJ
So I have seen and been to a lot of people’s homes.

I alway gave away a free frag to any one that came to my
House. I sometime trade for frags I already have just to help
The other person.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a Belgian Malinois that doesn’t like strangers, Clyde considers them a prey item. I honestly can’t say I’m a fan of them either!
76F0866F-CBEB-4F92-909B-8C23F38AE113.jpeg
6C70855D-C069-4B02-ACA3-847097329C27.jpeg

He’s also an expert at social distancing!

With COVID-19 no one is coming in my house unless it’s an absolute necessity.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed bag here. I start off saying no one is coming in but when someone comes by it's hard not to offer to let them see the tank. I've let a few people in as long as they're masked up, for whatever good it does. Outside of the hobby I enjoy my privacy and am somewhat reserved in my desire to socialize, but I have a soft spot especially for new reefers and enjoy having a conversation and offering to help.

As for security, I've never met a reefer yet that I felt was a potential issue but I'm always on my guard until I know someone.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to go to the "strangers" house and look thru their medicine cabinet just after I pee. Not to take anything.... just to be nosey

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed bag here. I start off saying no one is coming in but when someone comes by it's hard not to offer to let them see the tank. I've let a few people in as long as they're masked up, for whatever good it does. Outside of the hobby I enjoy my privacy and am somewhat reserved in my desire to socialize, but I have a soft spot especially for new reefers and enjoy having a conversation and offering to help.

As for security, I've never met a reefer yet that I felt was a potential issue but I'm always on my guard until I know someone.

Surprisingly enough before I enacted my no stranger policy, there were a number of times someone would come by to pick up corals and I’d step aside and invite them in and they’d say “oh no thanks I’m good I’ll wait here”

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly enough before I enacted my no stranger policy, there were a number of times someone would come by to pick up corals and I’d step aside and invite them in and they’d say “oh no thanks I’m good I’ll wait here”

Maybe it would help if you'd stop answering the door in nothing but boxer shorts. . . :p

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell some coral locally, but will NOT let anyone in my house or give my address, always a meet up somewhere, like a local LFS or a parking lot with high amount of foot traffic.

I literally do not trust anyone I meet from FB or other social media. Always carrying, and meet at locations I choose. I got a bad seller review because I wouldn't walk over to a guys car to "see what he has to trade". Haven't wanted to sell coral to individuals since, stick mainly to selling to local LFS
You're carrying to coral swaps? Odd. Why not sell online and ship? Avoid human interaction all together. That just sounds troubling.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back