stray voltage/current

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GobyApparatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I had a maintenance account that had a skimmer pump casing break. It released about 70V of electricity that ran through the tank for 2-3 days. It was a 600 gallon system and now I'm doing a complete rebuild. They want to make sure this never happens again. Is there a current probe or something like it that could be used with your APEX that would alert us if anything like that happened again?

Thanks.

OP
OP
GobyApparatus

GobyApparatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We know what caused it... pump replaced. The problem is the customer lost thousands in livestock and wants something to alert him if there is ever a problem like that again. Kind of like a current alarm people may use in pools or at boat docks... but they don't want just a alrm they want something that would text them and alert them if they are not at home.

OP
OP
GobyApparatus

GobyApparatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was one of the skimmer pumps... No matter what I do there is going to be something electrical in the tank... heater, circulation pump etc...

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spitballing here...

Are there relays that would be able to be activated with relatively low levels of stray voltage that could open or close a switch? Perhaps using it in series with a grounding probe so that the voltage would actuate the relay, which would close a switch hooked up to an Apex breakout box.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Install a ground probe and gfci outlet. Hook up aux power to the apex when the gfci trips and power is lost to the EB have apex send message that power is out.

OP
OP
GobyApparatus

GobyApparatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice to you would be to browse the forums, search GFCI. This topic has been hot lately again. Best thing to do would be to use a grounding probe and a GFCI breaker. Hook the apex brain up to something not on that circuit so it does not loose power if the GFCI trips. Hook one of the apex powerbars up to the GFCI so you can monitor its power.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back