Strength of vitamin C for carbon dosing?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of making a diy coral food with some amino powder and such, but was debating adding some vitamin C powder using one of the two in the links below. From my understanding, vitamin c can act as a form of carbon dosing, and I am wondering how strong the effect of it is. Also, I have heard that vitamin c can have an effect on alk. Is that a concern with this product? My reason for adding it is that I was thinking a weak form of carbon dosing could act as a food source for filter feeders while not greatly impacting nitrate or being able to cause serious bacterial blooms.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming they are what they claim (ascorbic acid), they will not have an overall impact on alk, but they may deplete alk temporarily until they are metabolized.

Buffered vitamin C (sodium ascorbate) will have an ongoing alk boost with each addition (once metabolized), but these products do not claim to be that material.

Comparing different organics for carbon dosing effect is complicated, but I'd think of each gram of it as being similar to a gram of ethanol (or 2.5 grams of 80 proof vodka)

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming they are what they claim (ascorbic acid), they will not have an overall impact on alk, but they may deplete alk temporarily until they are metabolized.

Buffered vitamin C (sodium ascorbate) will have an ongoing alk boost with each addition (once metabolized), but these products do not claim to be that material.

Comparing different organics for carbon dosing effect is complicated, but I'd think of each gram of it as being similar to a gram of ethanol (or 2.5 grams of 80 proof vodka)

So I guess I this scenario I'd definitely want to use small amount. Thank ya!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I this scenario I'd definitely want to use small amount. Thank ya!

You're welcome.

Note that vitamin C is a strong reducing agent, so it will drop ORP a lot and possibly change the speciation and bioavailability of trace elements like iron. That's is not necessarily a problem, but something to keep in mind. :)

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Note that vitamin C is a strong reducing agent, so it will drop ORP a lot and possibly change the speciation and bioavailability of trace elements like iron. That's is not necessarily a problem, but something to keep in mind. :)

I am also considering premixing it into a liquid as I heard someone do that with amino powder, vinegar, and rodi water. I have no clue how long that could be stored though which is my main concern.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also considering premixing it into a liquid as I heard someone do that with amino powder, vinegar, and rodi water. I have no clue how long that could be stored though which is my main concern.

My concern is bacteria growing in it. Full strength vinegar would be OK (although some amino acids may not dissolve well at low pH), but in a diluted solution, that's a bacterial growth broth. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back