Stressed clownfish after move

InvertEnjoyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved and I set up a temporary 10 gallon to hold my fish while my main tank is set up. When I placed my clownfish in I noticed she was breathing very fast and swam awkwardly. I also noticed little white spots on her back. Is ick or a fungal infection?

58F7F1EF-5D88-4558-BF62-6B053E3BC7A8.jpeg 07C7A195-AC31-43A0-B0E8-87302B0E6005.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just moved and I set up a temporary 10 gallon to hold my fish while my main tank is set up. When I placed my clownfish in I noticed she was breathing very fast and swam awkwardly. I also noticed little white spots on her back. Is ick or a fungal infection?

58F7F1EF-5D88-4558-BF62-6B053E3BC7A8.jpeg 07C7A195-AC31-43A0-B0E8-87302B0E6005.jpeg
While not ruling out ich, my hunch is this is sand which often adheres to skin of clownfish. I assume you acclimated clown to temporary tank amd that there is suffiecient aeration and oxygen ?
Assure salinity is in range and has not become elevated

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry about temporary tanks - they can have environmental issues much more easily than established tanks do. What is the ammonia testing at?
Jay

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did not see white spots before, I would assume it's debris/ sand on your clownfish. Did you use original aquarium water/ sand to set up 10g or is this a new setup

OP
OP
InvertEnjoyer

InvertEnjoyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry about temporary tanks - they can have environmental issues much more easily than established tanks do. What is the ammonia testing at?
Jay
Jay
Everything at 0ppm, clownfish is better now

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I'm not reading it correctly - or? You moved (I assume your residence) - are there are more than one fish in the 'temporary tank'? Agree with Jay - the breathing could be a toxin (ammonia), oxygen, etc. Can you give a little more information? How long have you had the fish - any recent additions?Any of the other fish (assuming there are other fish) - doing the same thing?

The spots as @vetteguy53081 said - could be an artifact. However, I would not assume that - I would assume it's 'something' i.e. Ich. Note - moving fish is stressful - and this can also lead to lymphocystis acting up (though the spots are not totally typical).

My recommendation (if you've made sure it's not sand - and your tests are ok. Watch carefully especially the other fish. If it's an oxygen issue - they all will may have some symptoms it (and also an ammonia issue) - It is very difficult (not done often) to test dissolved oxygen - I might suggest that if this were the case the fish would be near the top of the tank. this is definitely what happens in freshwater - @Jay Hemdal true also in salt? Also any inverts? Are they ok?

EDIT - just saw your comment - you think its sand. Sand can get caught in mucus - and in a healthy fish is very very quickly gotten rid of as the fish swims IME. My clown burrows in the sand - and never has an issue. But - hopefully in your case this is the cause!! - The key difference between lymphocystis and Ich (cryptocaryon) is that the spots move over time.

OP
OP
InvertEnjoyer

InvertEnjoyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not ruling out ich, my hunch is this is sand which often adheres to skin of clownfish. I assume you acclimated clown to temporary tank amd that there is suffiecient aeration and oxygen ?
Assure salinity is in range and has not become elevated
Everything matched the original aquarium, and the spots turned out to be sand. The clownfish is doing better now, think it was just stress

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - I'm more concerned about the rapid breathing - has that also resolved? If so - awesome.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Everything matched the original aquarium, and the spots turned out to be sand. The clownfish is doing better now, think it was just stress
Great to hear and happens often. The rapid breathing abnormal when water is changed or environment is changed.
As mentioned by Jay, assure ammonia is not elevated in which in new water should not be

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back