Stressed Firefish: Dying? Or a drama queen?

thevelvetdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I recently added a yellow watchman goby and firefish to my 10gal cube tank containing two clownfish. I thought this would be fine, because in my 40gal breeder I added a clownfish, then a firefish. They were best friends, but that's not the case here. My yellow watchman goby died a couple days ago from what I believe is stress and clownfish attacks. His fin was ripped to shreds and had some reddening/bleeding around his gills.

We had not seen the clownfish attack the firefish, but after noticing he had hidden all day and not came out, in addition to running away every time the clownfish got close, we opted to quarantine the firefish last night.

Since quarantining, he was doing a little better, but now is just laying out in the open not swimming. We've left the lights off and tried feeding but he hasn't ate. He has no signs of sickness or injury. He's just been super stressed.

So, dying or drama queen?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Sorry for the troubles. It does sound like the clowns bullied him. It is hard to say what is going on with the firefish with no visible signs of illness or injury. Am I correct you recently added both to this tank with the clowns?

How long were they in there, and were they able to settle in at all? Just wondering if you saw them eat a lot prior to this.

And, #WelcometoR2R . Hopefully we can figure this out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back