Stressed trigger with cloudy eyes - Blenny with tiny black spots

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems I just can't catch a breath and it's really starting to wear me out.

As some of you may remember, I've been dealing with a bad case of fin rot in my humu triggerfish about two months ago. I treated with Furan-2 and he pulled through and actually improved - his appetite also returned, something I had been concerned about. His damaged fin healed great and is almost completely repaired! His eyes kept some cloudyness that just wouldn't go away; I figured it might just need more time to heal? Since the Furan cleared all infections on the fin but no the eye, I thought maybe it wasn't actually infection-based cloudy eye or a different strain of bacteria, but that seemed weird since it helped so great on his fin - it also didn't get worse.

Overall he seemed to be back to really good shape. Behavior absolutely normal.

However, we had to move house. I was really worried about it (especially putting that stress on a fish that's JUST been through disease) and as it turns it, rightly so.

Tomorrow we're coming up on three weeks since we moved the tank. I've been checking water parameters every day and they're good. I kept about all the water during the move and did a 50% wc 4 days later. I did another 25% wc another 1.5 weeks later (3 days ago). I've been dosing Seachem Stability and Prime as a precaution.

The humu has been severely pacing since the move. It got really worse when I turned on the light so I made the probable mistake of keeping them off and the ambient low, to calm him down while he adjusts. I was so worried that the stress will make him sick. Turns out, it *might* have been better to just have him work through it with lights on from day one instead of prolonging the whole thing by two weeks. I've returned to a normal light-night cycle about 4 days ago. The pacing has seemed to have calmed somewhat, but he's still doing it way more than I'd like. So overall, stress levels in the tank are still fairly high and while there's no fighting and the two fish ignore each other, the stressed humu is definitely affecting the blenny, too.

Today I noticed his eyes have gotten worse. Otherwise no external signs of disease.

Yesterday I noticed several really small black spots on one side of the blenny's face. No spots on the other side nor elsewhere on the body as far as I cansee. I've seen him flash once or twice (but obviously haven't been observing him 24/7). They really look more like freckles than anything else. Not raised.

Both fish are eating happily. Poop looks normal. I've also been adding vitamins and have been slightly overfeeding to boost their immune systems.

Neither of them is swimming in the water flow/gasping at surface nor avoids light (so I'm hoping it's not velvet *knock on wood*).

I know cloudy eyes can be caused by stress. I've searched the forum and it also came up with high ammonia, low pH, and flukes. What else could be causing the eyes to become cloudy(ier)?

Could flukes cause really small black spots on the blenny? Or could it be black ich? What's puzzling me is that so far it's really only on one side of his face (which, obviously, can change) and I have not observed him scratch his head - only the body. If it was flukes or black ich, how fast would more black spots develop? How fast do I need to act? (as in: I know for things like velvet or ich one should act IMMEDIATELY). What else could be causing these?

I'm reluctant to do a FW dip to look for possible flukes as I really really don't want to add even more stress to already severely stressed out fish.

Should I do a round of Prazipro/General Cure for possible flukes as - as I understand it - it might also tackle possible black ich? Any concerns considering the fish, particularly the humu, are still adjusting to their new environment and particularly the humu seems to be having a really hard time? Would that possibly help with the cloudy eyes even if they're not caused by flukes?

Alternatively I was considering doing a round of Melafix for the cloudy eyes - but that was before I noticed the black spots on the blenny. Any concerns? Would that possibly further increase the stress level?

Reluctant to do another round of antibiotics since the last ones were quite hard on him. But if it came to it - Erythromycin?

Any advice is really appreciated. Thank you! :(

#reefsquad

PS: I'll try to get pictures tomorrow

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As some of you may remember, I've been dealing with a bad case of fin rot in my humu triggerfish about two months ago. He pulled through and actually improved - his appetite also returned, something I had been concerned about. His damaged fin healed great and is almost completely repaired! His eyes kept some cloudyness that just wouldn't go away (I figured it might just need more time?). But overall he seemed to be back to really good shape. Behavior absolutely normal.

However, we had to move house. I was really worried about it (especially putting that stress on a fish that's JUST been through disease) and as it turns it, rightly so.

Tomorrow we're coming up on three weeks since we moved the tank. I've been checking water parameters every day and they're good. I kept about all the water during the move and did a 50% wc 4 days later. I did another 25% wc another 1.5 weeks later (3 days ago). I've been dosing Seachem Stability and Prime as a precaution.

The humu has been pacing since the move. It got really worse when I turned on the light so I made the probable mistake of keeping them off and the ambient low, to calm him down while he adjusts. I was so worried that the stress will make him sick. Turns out, it *might* have been better to just have him work through it with lights on from day one instead of prolonging the whole thing by two weeks. I've returned to a normal light-night cycle about 4 days ago. The pacing has seemed to have calmed somewhat, but he's still doing it way more than I'd like. So overall, stress levels in the tank are still fairly high and while there's no fighting and the two fish ignore each other, the stressed humu is definitely affecting the blenny, too.

Today I noticed his eyes have gotten worse. Otherwise no external signs of disease.

Yesterday I noticed several really small black spots on one side of the blenny's face. No spots on the other side nor elsewhere on the body as far as I cansee. I've seen him flash once or twice (but obviously haven't been observing him 24/7). They really look more like freckles than anything else. Not raised.

Both fish are eating happily. Poop looks normal. I've also been adding vitamins and have been slightly overfeeding to boost their immune systems.

Neither of them is swimming in the water flow/gasping at surface nor avoids light (so I'm hoping it's not velvet *knock on wood*).

I know cloudy eyes can be caused by stress. I've searched the forum and it also came up with high ammonia, low pH, and flukes. What else could be causing the eyes to become cloudy(ier)?

Could flukes cause really small black spots on the blenny? Or could it be black ich? What's puzzling me is that so far it's really only on one side of his face (which, obviously, can change) and I have not observed him scratch his head - only the body. If it was flukes or black ich, how fast would more black spots develop? How fast do I need to act? (as in: I know for things like velvet or ich one should act IMMEDIATELY). What else could be causing these?

I'm reluctant to do a FW dip to look for possible flukes as I really really don't want to add even more stress to already severely stressed out fish.

Should I do a round of Prazipro/General Cure for possible flukes as - as I understand it - it might also tackle possible black ich? Any concerns considering the fish, particularly the humu, are still adjusting to their new environment and particularly the humu seems to be having a really hard time?

Alternatively I was considering doing a round of Melafix for the cloudy eyes - but that was before I noticed the black spots on the blenny. Any concerns? Would that possibly forther increase the stress level?

#reefsquad
I think the fish are a little stressed, but it doesn’t sound too critical as of now. Take a deep breath and if you can get them through a round of Prazipro. If it’s flukes, that will most likely get the majority of them. Prazipro is a great treatment. If they’ve never been through it- it will be good for them. I would FW dip first just in case it’s something else. Don’t be alarmed when you dip them. Just match the temp and use RO water. Pre oxygenated water is best if you have an airstone laying around. Keep us updated!

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not comfortable doing a FW dip. Also, I don't have any RO water - I'm using ocean water provided by our local aquarium for my tank.

Also, while the blenny might be "a little stressed", the humu most definitely is not. He continues to be mostly severely stressed (and it breaks my heart watching him like this, I want to help him so bad)

As usual, I won't be able to get my hands on any medication in a timely manner. I have Furan and Melafix at hand and I've seen Erythromycin at one of the pet stores - but I wouldn't be able to get Prazipro through Amazon before next Friday. I don't think I've seen General Cure anywhere, locally, either.

Prazipro is a great treatment. If they’ve never been through it- it will be good for them.

Neither of them have received Prazipro before within the 2.5 years I've had them. Both moved in at the same time. Not sure if they ever were treated with anything at the LFS.

jasonsingh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As some of you may remember, I've been dealing with a bad case of fin rot in my humu triggerfish about two months ago. I treated with Furan-2 and he pulled through and actually improved - his appetite also returned, something I had been concerned about. His damaged fin healed great and is almost completely repaired! His eyes kept some cloudyness that just wouldn't go away; I figured it might just need more time to heal? Since the Furan cleared all infections on the fin but no the eye, I thought maybe it wasn't actually infection-based cloudy eye or a different strain of bacteria, but that seemed weird since it helped so great on his fin - it also didn't get worse.

Overall he seemed to be back to really good shape. Behavior absolutely normal.

The humu has been severely pacing since the move. It got really worse when I turned on the light so I made the probable mistake of keeping them off and the ambient low, to calm him down while he adjusts. I was so worried that the stress will make him sick. Turns out, it *might* have been better to just have him work through it with lights on from day one instead of prolonging the whole thing by two weeks. I've returned to a normal light-night cycle about 4 days ago. The pacing has seemed to have calmed somewhat, but he's still doing it way more than I'd like. So overall, stress levels in the tank are still fairly high and while there's no fighting and the two fish ignore each other, the stressed humu is definitely affecting the blenny, too.

Should I do a round of Prazipro/General Cure for possible flukes as - as I understand it - it might also tackle possible black ich? Any concerns considering the fish, particularly the humu, are still adjusting to their new environment and particularly the humu seems to be having a really hard time? Would that possibly help with the cloudy eyes even if they're not caused by flukes?

Alternatively I was considering doing a round of Melafix for the cloudy eyes - but that was before I noticed the black spots on the blenny. Any concerns? Would that possibly further increase the stress level?

Reluctant to do another round of antibiotics since the last ones were quite hard on him. But if it came to it - Erythromycin?

#reefsquad

PS: I'll try to get pictures tomorrow
Blennies are very prone to stress. Not a lot you can do. Putting them in an aquarium and having them see us walking around them is stressful.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies are very prone to stress. Not a lot you can do. Putting them in an aquarium and having them see us walking around them is stressful.

This particular blenny has never really cared nor has been stressed before. He's usually quite a character. I've had him for 2.5 years and if during that time he's showed one thing it is that he couldn't care less about most anything.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask you guys...How many reefers do you know who will go buy Velvet and Ich infested fish, treat them, and them introduce them to their display. :)

Here’s the final update on that blue regal I named Savage. :)

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I tread Prazipro on a suspicion, could it do any damage if the fish don't actually have any of the parasites? Further increase stress by suppressing appetite? That appetite part has me really worried because last time with the Furan treatment it took them weeks and a lot of patience and encouragement to start eating better again. They're eating GREAT, currently.

Could an unrecognized fluke infection contribute to the humu's pacing/stress? Though he's been doing it for 3 weeks and the eyes have just now gotten worse. No flashing/scratching.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my question also is: could flukes really lay dormant for 2.5 years? Or could they have come in with the ocean water I'm using?

This is a fish-only tank.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

None of the other symptoms except:
- cloudy eyes (but only in the triggerfish)
- tiny black spots (but only on the blenny)
- flashing (but only the blenny and only observed like twice or so)

Both eating great. No frayed fins. No excessive slime coat production.

I also have a hard time thinking it's water quality. Tested parameters aside, wouldn't I expect to see similar symptoms in both fish if it was environmental? I.e. if I say somehow missed high ammonia or low pH, wouldn't that cause e.g. cloudy eyes or other *obvious* symptoms in both of them?

Which brings me back to square one.

Treat Prazipro on a suspicion (flukes or black ich; I just put the amazon order in)?
Or treat Melafix for cloudy eye and monitor the black spots, hoping it's been something else?
Or do another round of antibiotics for the cloudy eye?

And all of those potentially adding more stress to the already super stressed out triggerfish :-/

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more question before it's getting close to midnight on my end. Some time ago, someone locally who seemed very knowledgable recommended dosing Kent Iodide and that they have really good experience with that helping to clear up cloudy eye.

I don't have a reef tanke so I'm not sure what would be using up the Iodide - and I'm using ocean water which should have sufficient amounts already? I'm also not running a skimmer.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I've been really wanting to give it a try, but I'm also worried of causing any damage/poisoning.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a fresh water dip with dechlorinated tap water, it doesn’t have to be rodi. That will give you confirmation (or not) of a fluke infestation.

Back