String like algae ID help

JZduckhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

First, I have searched and reviewed many threads, and can't seem to find any algae like the one I have. It is covering both rock and sand, and my snails are all dying off as well. Any thoughts on what this could be? Each strand seems to be independent. It doesn't come off very easily (this picture was the day after scrubbing with a toothbrush).

IMG_4421.jpg

Thanks for any assistance.

Jason

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the picture. Looks like there is a lot of blue light on. Can you get some more white light on it for pictures?

Does it look like hair algae with a brown goo on it? If your snails are dying it makes me think it's dinos. Run some carbon to help with toxins if it is dinos. Also what are your nitrates and phosphates? What test kits do you use to measure them?

OP
OP
J

JZduckhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bret. I’ll try to get a different picture tonight.

There’s no goo. It’s literally individual strings that are a brownish/white color. They don’t seem to branch or mat together. Kind of odd.

nitrates and phosphates are at zero, but i have a lot of algae, so hard to say. (Red Sea test kits that are a couple months old). There is only 1 fish in a 50g with a 15g refugium. I feed a small amount of mysis daily, amounts to about 1 cube a week (hikari). So I’m not sure where the nutrients are coming from.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a strain of gha. Glad it's not dinos. Do you have any algae eaters in the tank?

Two things about nutrients and test kits;

1) Test kits only measure inorganic sources of nutrients. So zero only means zero inorganic nutrients. You may or may not ha e organic nutrients. Generally they are in proportion to each eachother but not always.

2) Contrary to popular belief, you don't want zero phosphates and nitrates. Bottoming them out can result in a dino bloom which is usually very difficult to over come. Plus corals are healthier with about 0.1 ppm phosphates and at least 1.0 ppm nitrates. Many people report their coloration is better.

OP
OP
J

JZduckhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic from a microscope. Mostly straight tube like structures. Assuming GHA of some type? Going to try more frequent water changes and good old fashioned manual removal. Still puzzled by the snails dying though.
B3FC254B-1A2D-4D5E-9B48-5F55FC4185FC.jpeg

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like gha to me. Is this tank cycling? If so check ammonia and nitrite. Preferably with something more accurate than API test kits.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back