String like things on zoas

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a small frag of zoas or maybe palys, not sure I'm kind of a nube, for about a month. I recently switched lights and ever since they have been closed for the most part and string like things aren't growing off the base, not the actual polyps like they do when expelling waste. I have a green star polyp that is doing well so I'm not sure what is going on. I've tried removal and it comes back. Parameters are normal 1.025 salinity 5.0 nitrate (water change soon) usually 0, 0 nitrite and ammonia 7.6 ph

image.jpg

914joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those tubes are Vermetid snails which irritate zoas... I'd get that rock out and pop as many off as you can

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if they were the culprit, i started with like 2 and the next thing I knew they were everywhere. I'll try getting em off

914joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a good sign with them multiplying like that. I'd remove as many as possible cut back on feeding and see where that leads you.

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill em all! Or your gonna be in my shoes. I had a fish stop eating and I used alternative method to get him eating and here we are. Make sure you crush the base. I ran my tank with the overflo dry for a day let the ones I can't reach suffocate. Slow your feeding g down and cross fingers

IMG_20170321_121848.jpg

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill em all! Or your gonna be in my shoes. I had a fish stop eating and I used alternative method to get him eating and here we are. Make sure you crush the base. I ran my tank with the overflo dry for a day let the ones I can't reach suffocate. Slow your feeding g down and cross fingers

IMG_20170321_121848.jpg
Thanks for the reply! The thing that confuses me is i dont thave any fish atm so I don't really feed, I put in a pinch of crushed dried shrimp in each week for the nerites and hermits. Could that be the cause? Should I stop doing that

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say, I don't wanna give wrong advice. Or do i want your inverts to starve. My heavy fish load helps feed mine. Spot feeding corals I do twice a week instead of every 2 days. When i received my 8+ year old tank I never noticed them, starting feeding finiky fish cyclopezz and it all began. I'd completely clean a rock and watch to see how fash they come back. I also would just continue everything as normal. now they are On your radar so you can start thinning out the heard

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say, I don't wanna give wrong advice. Or do i want your inverts to starve. My heavy fish load helps feed mine. Spot feeding corals I do twice a week instead of every 2 days. When i received my 8+ year old tank I never noticed them, starting feeding finiky fish cyclopezz and it all began. I'd completely clean a rock and watch to see how fash they come back. I also would just continue everything as normal. now they are On your radar so you can start thinning out the heard
Alright I'll try that out and see what happens, thanks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back