Stringy brownish poo?

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a flame angel that has had some brown sometimes yellow stringy poo. It can get really long at times. When in QT, i did a week of GC and seachem focus binder...seemed to have gone away. Couple weeks ago, its back to brown/yellow stringy poo. I went back to gc and focus and been doing this for TWO WEEKS. Still seeing it. Should i try a different method?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed the GC + Focus for up to 30 days before changing to a different med. Sometimes it takes awhile.
How does the fish look? Is it eating a lot and yet has a pinched in stomach?

OP
OP
K

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed the GC + Focus for up to 30 days before changing to a different med. Sometimes it takes awhile.
How does the fish look? Is it eating a lot and yet has a pinched in stomach?
Eating well both in the morning when i feed rods food soaked in meds and at night when i feed bloodworms. You could say it isnt as bright? But not noticeable. And no pinch stomach.

could there be issues in feeding med soaked food to fish that dont need it?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could there be issues in feeding med soaked food to fish that dont need it?
Just like in humans, taking meds can build a lower effectiveness to those same meds if needed in the future.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say it can get really long, just how 'long' ... 1/2" versus 1/4" ... or 1" (or more)?

I ask because sometimes brown, somewhat stringy poo can be due to large amounts of meaty protein (LFS Reef Frenzy, Rod's Food, etc.) where as really stringy white poo is more indicative of internal parasites.

Given that you're feeding Rod's and bloodworms, I would suggest posting a pic of the stringy poo for better diagnosis ... rather than jump straight to the conclusion of parasites and medicating when it might not be necessary.

OP
OP
K

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say it can get really long, just how 'long' ... 1/2" versus 1/4" ... or 1" (or more)?

I ask because sometimes brown, somewhat stringy poo can be due to large amounts of meaty protein (LFS Reef Frenzy, Rod's Food, etc.) where as really stringy white poo is more indicative of internal parasites.

Given that you're feeding Rod's and bloodworms, I would suggest posting a pic of the stringy poo for better diagnosis ... rather than jump straight to the conclusion of parasites and medicating when it might not be necessary.
Alrite ill try to get a pic tonight. But when i say long... im talkin 3-4 inches long.
And my kole tang always tryna eat it haha. Kole tang does not have any issues.

OP
OP
K

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here are some pics. This is in the middle of the day. I havent fed her in over 6 hours.

this is relatively short compres to what i have seen. Also its not white. Its brownish green yellow.

997A00C6-2F60-4C59-85A8-79F6D5A0B05D.jpeg A179F02C-F15E-4E4F-B972-B858F49835F7.jpeg

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone specific experience with Angelfish will chime in, but from what I can see from non-zoomed-in pics, it looks more like a thick constipation string of poo to me than the thin, white stings caused by internal parasites.

Like I said, I don't have any angels. But, when my blennies (the only onimvores/herbivores I have) really pig out on frozen foods (e.g. LRS Reef Frenzy) and don't balance it out enough with algae eating, they're poo looks similar: thick stands of somewhat hard brownish-yellowish poo. Whereas most of the white stringy poo I've seen from internal worms/parasites looks more like long strands of really thin thread or spider web.

Are you sure it's getting enough algae in its diet?

OP
OP
K

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone specific experience with Angelfish will chime in, but from what I can see from non-zoomed-in pics, it looks more like a thick constipation string of poo to me than the thin, white stings caused by internal parasites.

Like I said, I don't have any angels. But, when my blennies (the only onimvores/herbivores I have) really pig out on frozen foods (e.g. LRS Reef Frenzy) and don't balance it out enough with algae eating, they're poo looks similar: thick stands of somewhat hard brownish-yellowish poo. Whereas most of the white stringy poo I've seen from internal worms/parasites looks more like long strands of really thin thread or spider web.

Are you sure it's getting enough algae in its diet?
I offer pellets and nori sheets, but it seems like it only eats the meaty foods.

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat related to this thread, I have my Purple Tang in QT right now and feeding him frozen Mysis mixed with GC, Focus and a little Selcon and garlic. He had a fairly large brown stringy excrement this morning right after feeding. Everything I'm ready is saying only if it's white and stringy is it indicative of internal parasites and an issue. Can anyone corroborate this opinion? He's very active, eating and does not show any symptoms of sickness. Pictures attached of what it looked like this morning.

20200918_091558.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I offer pellets and nori sheets, but it seems like it only eats the meaty foods.

Try some frozen adult brine shrimp. It is terribly poor nutritionally, so you don't want to feed it as a staple, but it is a good laxative, and will help tell you if the issue is, like others have said, something to do with high protein/high fat diet.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back