Stringy clear mucus when Feeding coral

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been spot feeding corals with Red Sea ab + mixed with reef roids. I do it every other week. I have notice that my mushrooms torches gonis acons hammers and candy canes are letting out a clear mucus. Is this normal or should I stop spot feeding?
thank you ahead for any comments.

OP
OP
M

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not. I tried but water was a bit green from the AB+ and couldn’t see via pictures.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be vertamid snails can you see any tubes on the skeleton ?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Nothing at all.
In that case if everything is looking healthy I’d not worry it’s most like a feeding or waste response as stated by another member pics would help us try and id this for you

OP
OP
M

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get back home this weekend ( on travel for work) I’ll feed and try and get videos and pictures of it. Thank you all again for your responses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In many cases, mucus emission is a sign of stress and NOT feeding response. The type of stress can be too much current/flow, biofouling, pathogens, UV radiation, sedimentation, pollutants, desiccation and even temperature or salinity changes. In Most cases, its a defense mechanism against desiccation. Corals coat their body with mucus, keeping in moisture to withstand severe environmental conditions and changes in conditions. Corals in general has mucus which contains substances called mycosporine-like amino acids that can absorb UV light, which can protect corals from strong UV light. When sediments such as silt and sand fall down onto their coral surface, they use mucus to clean up their surface.
So some stated, they see this after feeding. The reason is, they use mucus as a tool to capture prey items such as bacteria and small zooplankton with their sticky surface. Corals transport the food items trapped by mucus into their mouth using ciliary movements and also release mucus as excretory pathways for excess organic matter .

The mucus can be slimy, stringy, in sheets and web-like

OP
OP
M

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very awesome of you to respond in such detail and understanding. Thank you very much for the advice and reasoning!!

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In many cases, mucus emission is a sign of stress and NOT feeding response. The type of stress can be too much current/flow, biofouling, pathogens, UV radiation, sedimentation, pollutants, desiccation and even temperature or salinity changes. In Most cases, its a defense mechanism against desiccation. Corals coat their body with mucus, keeping in moisture to withstand severe environmental conditions and changes in conditions. Corals in general has mucus which contains substances called mycosporine-like amino acids that can absorb UV light, which can protect corals from strong UV light. When sediments such as silt and sand fall down onto their coral surface, they use mucus to clean up their surface.
So some stated, they see this after feeding. The reason is, they use mucus as a tool to capture prey items such as bacteria and small zooplankton with their sticky surface. Corals transport the food items trapped by mucus into their mouth using ciliary movements and also release mucus as excretory pathways for excess organic matter .

The mucus can be slimy, stringy, in sheets and web-like

So it is or isn't feeding? You start off saying it is stress and not a feeding response, but then finish off by saying they use the mucus to catch food and move it to their mouth?..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So it is or isn't feeding? You start off saying it is stress and not a feeding response, but then finish off by saying they use the mucus to catch food and move it to their mouth?..
It can be either or. My guess, stress. It’s not the type of mucus produced for catching food

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back