Stringy stinger's

dead_goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is completely overwhelmed with these little strings that live on the rock and sand that are attacking the coral. The first few I found I was able to super glue down, however at this point I'm considering tearing the tank down an starting over.

Does anyone have any advice?
Screenshot_20210509-093312.png

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. I can’t see it clearly but I’d assume that it’s nothing worth breaking down your tank over.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to see, are you talking about the little tentacle at the bottom of the rock? If so, it’s one of three things, either a vermetid snail, spaghetti worm, or a mini brittle star. The only one of those to worry about is the vermetid, and even then unless they’re at plague proportions, I wouldn’t tear the tank down. For the ones that are bothering corals, either completely remove the shell, or clog the end of it with superglue. Some wrasses and bumblebee snails have been said to eat them, but it’s no guarantee, so only get them if you actually want them as tank inhabitants. But based on the picture it’s hard to say exactly what they are. Also, spaghetti worms can also irritate corals, but they’re not to hard to move if they’re in the sand and they’re otherwise beneficial.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like feeder tentacle of a vermetid snail. It could not be in a worse place to be hiding and removed

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back