Stringy white / cloudy stuff coming from my dead fish.

Dklein298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start with I wish I took a picture..... Bought a Mandrin Goby from a store we've had luck with yesterday. Got it home, driped acclamated it and added to our quarantine tank. He was kind of slow to get around the tank unlike the others we bought. Well I was up at 1AM and seen he moved. Got up this morning and when the lights came on he was dead on the bottom with a cloudy/white colored substance coming from him. What might it be???

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start with I wish I took a picture..... Bought a Mandrin Goby from a store we've had luck with yesterday. Got it home, driped acclamated it and added to our quarantine tank. He was kind of slow to get around the tank unlike the others we bought. Well I was up at 1AM and seen he moved. Got up this morning and when the lights came on he was dead on the bottom with a cloudy/white colored substance coming from him. What might it be???
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry to hear about your mandarin. These fish have a normal, thick mucus coat on their skin. After death, this can slough off.

It is unusual to lose a mandarin so soon like this (although they are very delicate to keep long term). Do you know what salinity it was in when you bought it compared to the salinity of your tank?
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dklein298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry to hear about your mandarin. These fish have a normal, thick mucus coat on their skin. After death, this can slough off.

It is unusual to lose a mandarin so soon like this (although they are very delicate to keep long term). Do you know what salinity it was in when you bought it compared to the salinity of your tank?
Jay
They are at 1.025, ours was lower due to getting fish back from quarantine for ich. Ours was 1.021. It had the stringy stuff while at the store. They gave us credit. Their tanks are all treated with copper.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back