Struggling raising nitrates... I'm at a loss

mystersyster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this tank set up for well over a year. It was seeded with rock from previous tanks I had which had been wet for over 5 years.

Results from testing:

0.06 Ultra low range hanna phosphate checker

0.0 Hanna nitrate checker

Been dosing neonitro (3 ml per day in 26 gallons) for the past 5 days with daily testing. Phosphates rose .02 while no effect to the nitrates.

I've read a lot of threads with similar problems but cannot pinpoint what is going on with my system. Thanks and sorry for the ugly tank... work in progress lol.
20210825_145131.jpg
20210825_145049.jpg
20210825_144857.jpg

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your bio load? I had a similar problem in a 20 cube and adding some more fish and feeding more (2-3 times per day) helped. You could dose more heavily, but the natural way is to increase the bio load (i.e. fish poop = nitrate).

OP
OP
mystersyster

mystersyster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your bio load? I had a similar problem in a 20 cube and adding some more fish and feeding more (2-3 times per day) helped. You could dose more heavily, but the natural way is to increase the bio load (i.e. fish poop = nitrate).
It's relatively small. A flasher wrasse I just added and two royal gramma I've had for 5 years. Been feeding more but I think thats what raised my phosphate. I doubled my nitrate dose today.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's relatively small. A flasher wrasse I just added and two royal gramma I've had for 5 years. Been feeding more but I think thats what raised my phosphate. I doubled my nitrate dose today.
The answer is that the algae is using the nutrients. Stop dosing nutrients until you can get some clean up crew to help with the algae. Remove the algae manually and see how it goes with something like Vibrant to help kill the algae.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is that the algae is using the nutrients. Stop dosing nutrients until you can get some clean up crew to help with the algae. Remove the algae manually and see how it goes with something like Vibrant to help kill the algae.
+1 though I wouldn't use Vibrant, just get a proper sized CUC. They will take care of all that GHA.

OP
OP
mystersyster

mystersyster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 though I wouldn't use Vibrant, just get a proper sized CUC. They will take care of all that GHA.
Most of it isnt GHA. Its some puffy algae that is easy to pull off but grows in big puff balls. Do you have a recommendation for a proper CUC that would get after my algae?
Been removing the algae for months. Will continue to do so. Do you have a recommendation for a proper CUC?

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of it isnt GHA. Its some puffy algae that is easy to pull off but grows in big puff balls. Do you have a recommendation for a proper CUC that would get after my algae?

Been removing the algae for months. Will continue to do so. Do you have a recommendation for a proper CUC?
Yea, go to Reeftopia and order their Algae Package #2. Will take care of it. Just did it myself.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam is also going to suck up your nitrates.

Also highly recommend urchins as part of a cleanup crew. Tuxedo urchins are hardy and won't damage things.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back