Struggling to feed highly reclusive Yellow Watchman Goby

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25g nano tank. When I first added the YWG to my tank, it actively swam around and posted up on various rocks. About two weeks after adding the YWG, I added two clowns and the YWG's behavior changed overnight. Although the clowns are not aggressive towards other fish in my tank, the YWG now hides away within the rock work. The YWG is now so shy that it recedes even further into the rocks when I try to target feed him. The YWG will eat frozen foods out of the water column when I do a general feeding, but I am concerned that it is not eating enough. When I first got the fish, it was a vibrant yellow. Now several months later and it is quite dull. How do I help this poor creature?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Pink Spot do the same thing. Lost most of its beautiful colors. So I started watching after lights out on the tank. Turns out my clown was chasing/harassing it once the lights dimmed. Ultimately the stress shortened the PSG's life span. :(

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Pink Spot do the same thing. Lost most of its beautiful colors. So I started watching after lights out on the tank. Turns out my clown was chasing/harassing it once the lights dimmed. Ultimately the stress shortened the PSG's life span. :(
Thank you for your feedback. If I can catch the fish, I may try to move it to a separate tank I’m setting up. Just not sure how to catch him without adding to the stress.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broadcast feed my tank, my ywg hides when I get close to the tank, there is no way it would ever let me feed it with a turkey baster.

Mine eats much less than the clowns, so you shouldn't compare. Mine wont even eat if I stand in front of the tank, it will hide in the rocks, so I have to step away once I drop the food.

To me it sounds like your fish is acting very normal.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broadcast feed my tank, my ywg hides when I get close to the tank, there is no way it would ever let me feed it with a turkey baster.

Mine eats much less than the clowns, so you shouldn't compare. Mine wont even eat if I stand in front of the tank, it will hide in the rocks, so I have to step away once I drop the food.

To me it sounds like your fish is acting very normal.
Thank you for sharing your experience. This is super helpful.

Fishwife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has always hidden under the rocks. I have to hold very still to see it come out. I make sure some flakes sink in front of his "door".

jpgillespie2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used to recluse in a hole that the pistol shrimp would dig. Anytime I walked up to the tank, he’d dart into the hole. I started walking up to the tank and waving my hand at the glass and then immediately put tongs in his burrow with flake food on them. I did this for about 3 times a day for a month and now when I open the drawer the tongs are in, he comes out. He used to be scared of my clowns and would only eat food that made it to his burrow. Now he swims up with them to eat.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back