Struggling to get PO4 below 0.1

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I have a 600L aquarium (150g) with about 20 fish.

I feed one cube of frozen daily and have done for a while. My PO4 is stable around 0.14-0.18 but I would like it below 0.1.

I am using a refugium lighted 24-7 and also GFO and I use LaCl almost daily.

I worry if I stop feeding so much I might lose fish.

I never used to have this problem. What can I do?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is yr nitrate reading ? I feed daily almost 2 cubes in 40gal and have phosphate at .04, also I would reduce yr refugium lighting to 12 hours opposite of DT- plants/macro algae do their most growing during the night that’s when they use the nutrients they’ve gathered- could be the issue due to macro amassing the nutrients but then having to rerelease back into water due to not being able to grow

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is yr nitrate reading ? I feed daily almost 2 cubes in 40gal and have phosphate at .04, also I would reduce yr refugium lighting to 12 hours opposite of DT- plants/macro algae do their most growing during the night that’s when they use the nutrients they’ve gathered- could be the issue due to macro amassing the nutrients but then having to rerelease back into water due to not being able to grow
Thanks. I might try it. I used to have an opposite cycle.

NO3 around 5ppm.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to lower it? Don't chase after numbers -- focus on results instead. If everything is doing well otherwise, leave it alone.

My PO4 is consistently .5 with no problems.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I might try it. I used to have an opposite cycle.

NO3 around 5ppm.
Oh nitrate is a little low , actually dosing neonitro could decrease phosphate , because it seems ye ratio is in favor of phosphate, for instance my nitrate is around 10-20ppm with my low phosphate

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above 0.1 it can inhibit coral skeleton growth.

I am also having issues with green hair algae. Keep buying a foxface but they are all tiny at the minute and don’t last long.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nitrate is a little low , actually dosing neonitro could decrease phosphate , because it seems ye ratio is in favor of phosphate, for instance my nitrate is around 10-20ppm with my low phosphate
I’ve had my nitrate up around 20ppm and it was still the same.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have an unidentified Phosphate source. Is their an occasional use of freeze-dried or flake food?

What type of mechanical filtration do you have; filter sock? Filter pads? If not changed often enough, I understand they can contribute to phosphate numbers.

It certainly doesn't sound like you're over-feeding.

If you could post a full tank pic including your sump and refugium, we may be able to make suggestions based on seeing the actual tank.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my nitrate up around 20ppm and it was still the same.
Through dosing or feeding? If feedin it’s giving both phosphate and nitrate , neonitro is only nitrate. But I would start with the refugium light change and see what that gives you

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through dosing or feeding? If feedin it’s giving both phosphate and nitrate , neonitro is only nitrate. But I would start with the refugium light change and see what that gives you
I’m worried that lowering the photo period will lead to less growth. I mean people grow weed fast, and they have it light up 24-7 lol.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the tank. Will get one of the sump tomorrow.

Attachments

• 9BDB3C40-FD5D-489C-B7F1-A74EEEE7139B.jpeg
    9BDB3C40-FD5D-489C-B7F1-A74EEEE7139B.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 61

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m worried that lowering the photo period will lead to less growth. I mean people grow weed fast, and they have it light up 24-7 lol.
I actually grow weed to hahaha and even still there is a rest period - 18 hours of light allows it to maximize growth without budding , once big enough you change to 12 hours of light either way there is still a rest period

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good. Not great. Need the SPS to colour up.

I had GHA issues and took my refugium offline months ago. It’s been up and running a few months again.

Should I harvest?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back