Stuart's 1.5 Gallon Pico Build!

Should this be bare bottom or not? (remember I'm counting on the community to create this tank)

• Total voters
OP
OP
Stuartmercer

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything new?
Sorry for the lack of updates, had online school and have only recently gotten back into it and I have finals to top it all off. The stand should have the magnetic door latch be onto the door tomorrow morning during construction class - paint will come at a different time.

Everyone should expect to see pictures of a new aquascape, as well as the aquarium on the stand by the end of the week when I have time to take it home.

After finals are over this week, on the weekend I will fill with water - I know I said I would do a sump, however, with a lack of knowledge with plumbing, and the pure size of the aquarium I will not be doing a sump, but instead a canister filter that I might modify for a refugium or something.

Then the tank will be cycling for the next couple of weeks and I will get some frags ready from my DT to place into the pico. Going to start with an overgrown eagle eye colony (80ish heads) and possibly (and this is a HARD possibly) frag one of my RBTA and get it in early - I'd rather have a nem in a tank before all the other corals for obvious reasons.

From there, do what I was planning beforehand and start to grow a GSP or clove polyp backround.

Anyways - now that the semester is almost over I should have plenty of time to work on this build some more. What I stated above is a timeline of what everyone can expect in the next coming months.

Thanks, everyone for staying interested in my build!! I truly appreciate it!! :) :)

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool build! I would be worried about almost any fish in a tank that size. Maybe less mobile creatures such as sexy shrimp (since they are tiny but love to be out and about). Many of the tiny gobies like to stay in one place: my red striped (trimma) goby likes to sit front and center almost 99% of the time (the rest of the time he is hiding). My red banded/highfin goby is also similar in that regard. My other gobies are surprisingly active: green banded, red headed, yellow clown (though they move slowly), yellow neon/cleaner hybrid (they are hyper!). You get the idea.

Also, an RBTA in a tank of that size could be a problem, especially if you are putting it in right from the get go. My 14 gallon cube is predominantly a 'nem tank (BTAs and rock anemones), and I had several pass away on me introduced even in month 5 with stable parameters. Even much later it has been a bit hit or miss. A rock anemone might be a safer bet (and a good match with a sexy shrimp).

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of updates, had online school and have only recently gotten back into it and I have finals to top it all off. The stand should have the magnetic door latch be onto the door tomorrow morning during construction class - paint will come at a different time.

Everyone should expect to see pictures of a new aquascape, as well as the aquarium on the stand by the end of the week when I have time to take it home.

After finals are over this week, on the weekend I will fill with water - I know I said I would do a sump, however, with a lack of knowledge with plumbing, and the pure size of the aquarium I will not be doing a sump, but instead a canister filter that I might modify for a refugium or something.

Then the tank will be cycling for the next couple of weeks and I will get some frags ready from my DT to place into the pico. Going to start with an overgrown eagle eye colony (80ish heads) and possibly (and this is a HARD possibly) frag one of my RBTA and get it in early - I'd rather have a nem in a tank before all the other corals for obvious reasons.

From there, do what I was planning beforehand and start to grow a GSP or clove polyp backround.

Anyways - now that the semester is almost over I should have plenty of time to work on this build some more. What I stated above is a timeline of what everyone can expect in the next coming months.

Thanks, everyone for staying interested in my build!! I truly appreciate it!! :) :)
I would go with a rock flower nem instead of a rbta. They move around much less and do not pack much of a sting at all for other corals. I will add one to each of the pico tanks I am planning.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool build! I would be worried about almost any fish in a tank that size. Maybe less mobile creatures such as sexy shrimp (since they are tiny but love to be out and about). Many of the tiny gobies like to stay in one place: my red striped (trimma) goby likes to sit front and center almost 99% of the time (the rest of the time he is hiding). My red banded/highfin goby is also similar in that regard. My other gobies are surprisingly active: green banded, red headed, yellow clown (though they move slowly), yellow neon/cleaner hybrid (they are hyper!). You get the idea.
I have had a banggai cardinal in my 120g tank for more than a year and he has not moved one inch from his favorite cluster of frogspawn for anything other than to eat. If I dropped the food right in front of him he would never move more than 2 inches. That could be a potential fish in a pico. Mine has a big appetite though so that could be a limiting factor.

Back