Stubborn parasite….working its way through fish population

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has absolutely no reaction to my hand on the glass in front of it and doesn’t move away from a net in the tank until I’m touching it with the net.
I’m really sorry for everything. So about three weeks ago I made a thread regarding my flameback angel. Every night before the lights go out he swims erratically, turns pale, and goes towards the powerhead head but he’s totally fine when the lights are on. It’s only when the lights are about to go out, I assume it was velvet but three weeks later and he’s fine.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, unfortunately I lost everything except for an Azure damsel. The Potters seemed to recover all except for his eyesight and thus couldn’t locate food.

Looking back I think this all started when I had a power strip that the heater was on go out and the tank temp fell to 74 degrees before I could catch it. I think this stressed all of the fish out, lowering their immune systems, and eventually causing some residual diseases to surface. I think it was a combination of brook and flukes.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses.

So nearly a 100% loss rate after medication. I have noted many similar examples on the disease threads. It seems very few are successful with chemical or anabiotic treatments. Most go silent after they request help and it is not successful. I am sure many leave the hobby.

I have had similar results. I use different interventions now days....but they always bring ridicule from those who medicate before proper identification of the disease organism or as a prophylactic treatment.

Good luck with your next attempts.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses.

So nearly a 100% loss rate after medication. I have noted many similar examples on the disease threads. It seems very few are successful with chemical or anabiotic treatments. Most go silent after they request help and it is not successful. I am sure many leave the hobby.

I have had similar results. I use different interventions now days....but they always bring ridicule from those who medicate before proper identification of the disease organism or as a prophylactic treatment.

Good luck with your next attempts.
Yep it’s definitely got me spooked. I’ve been keeping saltwater fish for a long time and never had illnesses wipe out the whole tank.

I think the best thing you can do is keep the fishes immune system bolstered.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it’s definitely got me spooked. I’ve been keeping saltwater fish for a long time and never had illnesses wipe out the whole tank.

I think the best thing you can do is keep the fishes immune system bolstered.
I like U.V. for this reason.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like U.V. for this reason.
Hmmmm I had been using UV on this tank for a long time to combat dinos….maybe that was helping things.

The problem is there really isn’t a quality UV unit out there and they’re actually quite dangerous. They degrade over time from the UV light.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm I had been using UV on this tank for a long time to combat dinos….maybe that was helping things.

The problem is there really isn’t a quality UV unit out there and they’re actually quite dangerous. They degrade over time from the UV light.
The TMC and Pentair are great but it must be proper size for flow for parasite control. Read up on American Aquatics website for more information.
Need to keep bulbs maintained about every 6 months.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back