Stubbs Elos 120XL Build in Malaysia

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mark (I'm a Mark as well)! Thanks! I bought the vast, vast majority of my gear before I left for Malaysia and had it all sent here with the rest of my stuff.

I currently have two XF250's in my tank with two of the appropriate ice cap gyre modules, as well as some backup batteries. I'll get into it at some point, but the way it works is pretty straight forward. You can either control forward only by using 1 of the Apex 0-10v ports (either on board the apex or on a VDM module), or you can control both forward and reverse by using 2 of the Apex ports (each RJ45 port controls two different 0-10v devices) with a special cable. The base IceCap module comes with a "forward only" cable that will control two separate modules as it is a single plug with two outputs.

I chose to get the forward/reverse cable as it was like 10 bucks (20 total for 2 of them) and had to buy a VDM anyway (I needed a minimum of 5 ports - 3 pump, 2 gyre) so I figured I'd go ahead and use all 4 ports on the VDM, and just use 3 on the Apex itself.

I control 3 pumps and 2 gyres using a total of 7 of the 8 available 0-10v ports on my apex and the VDM module. 3 ports for the Varios' and 2 ports for each of the 2 gyres.

I'll detail it a bit further in the future, but I honestly haven't set up the Apex to control them yet as I'm actually just now (literally today) putting water in the tank.
Well just bouth the controller but BRS was out of the VDM module Thanks for the info. Wow you were close. How do you like it there. I travel to Thailand every year or so.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's a great looking setup! I cant wait to see the livestock you come up with. Your in the middle of some of the best stuff in the world.

yeah I can't wait to start fish and coral shopping here. That was one of the big reasons I bought everything before I moved. I hoped fish and corals would be less expensive here and so far, it sure looks that way. Most of the fish I've seen advertised locally are about 10% of the cost I'd pay in the states.

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just bouth the controller but BRS was out of the VDM module Thanks for the info. Wow you were close. How do you like it there. I travel to Thailand every year or so.

So far it's been pretty interesting. I haven't made it over to Thailand yet, but while we live in Malaysia we plan to travel around Asia as much as we can since it's a lot easier to travel around here while we live here rather than trying to fly here from Atlanta which takes forever.

I'm actually sitting in North Atlanta right now typing this.. Was a long trip here with the kids!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far it's been pretty interesting. I haven't made it over to Thailand yet, but while we live in Malaysia we plan to travel around Asia as much as we can since it's a lot easier to travel around here while we live here rather than trying to fly here from Atlanta which takes forever.

I'm actually sitting in North Atlanta right now typing this.. Was a long trip here with the kids!
Oh man I hope you didn't get stuck in the airport mess down there. They lost power to the whole airport for 11 hours. I bet that's a long flight with kids, it's long enough for just me.n I was looking at a post on a vender that goes to Indonesia and aparntly they have a coral market he posted some nice stuff.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I can't wait to start fish and coral shopping here. That was one of the big reasons I bought everything before I moved. I hoped fish and corals would be less expensive here and so far, it sure looks that way. Most of the fish I've seen advertised locally are about 10% of the cost I'd pay in the states.
That's crazy!

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I hope you didn't get stuck in the airport mess down there. They lost power to the whole airport for 11 hours. I bet that's a long flight with kids, it's long enough for just me.n I was looking at a post on a vender that goes to Indonesia and aparntly they have a coral market he posted some nice stuff.

Yeah I’ve been checking out that thread. I need to go down to Jakarta apparently. A local Malaysian guy I know goes there for corals and now I know why.

We were on final approach to hartsfield when they lost power. We ended up diverting to Charlotte so I had 30 hours of flying and then tacked on a 5 hour drive at the end. Was AWESOME. </sarcasm>

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH man bad timing I fly a good bit and was so happy I was home I feel for you. I have not been to Malaysia or Indonesia, I know out of Thailand the Air Asia flights are pretty cheep

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep thinking about this thread and how I need to update it. I think what happens is I do the updates during my day, which is night time for most of the viewership of R2R and by the time folks wake up, my thread is buried, so not many folks ever see it.

Tank is running. I have fish and coral in it. Have lost a few corals and one fish so far, but I'll do a proper update shortly as I haven't finished describing the build yet and I still have some questions about how I could be doing a few things differently

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep thinking about this thread and how I need to update it. I think what happens is I do the updates during my day, which is night time for most of the viewership of R2R and by the time folks wake up, my thread is buried, so not many folks ever see it.

Tank is running. I have fish and coral in it. Have lost a few corals and one fish so far, but I'll do a proper update shortly as I haven't finished describing the build yet and I still have some questions about how I could be doing a few things differently
Understand glad your up and running. Did you find a good place to get fish and coral?

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, have found a few great places. Still waiting a bit for my tank to get its act together before i put any sps in here, but i have some softies and fungia. Certain types of fish are hard to come by but all the standard stuff is easy to find, and lots cheaper than the states.

Definitely some crazy corals available here, and it's easy to find good sized colonies too instead of tiny little specs of nothingness

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, have found a few great places. Still waiting a bit for my tank to get its act together before i put any sps in here, but i have some softies and fungia. Certain types of fish are hard to come by but all the standard stuff is easy to find, and lots cheaper than the states.

Definitely some crazy corals available here, and it's easy to find good sized colonies too instead of tiny little specs of nothingness
Good deal I am going to keep following your tread some day I will move that way.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking forward to the pics!!

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Build will follow - very interesting finds while living over there. ;)

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini do you get bubbles out of the fuge return? I put about 200gph through mine and lots of bubbles out of the return pipe which are causing micro bubbles in the DT.

Everyone else - update forthcoming! Just need to finish typing it up

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini do you get bubbles out of the fuge return? I put about 200gph through mine and lots of bubbles out of the return pipe which are causing micro bubbles in the DT.

Everyone else - update forthcoming! Just need to finish typing it up

No, no bubbles. I don't know how much flow I have going through mine but it's not a lot. I tee'd off the return and have just enough flow to spin my macros.
Not sure what would be causing bubbles. Is the fuge itself full of bubbles?
Got any pics?

OP
OP
markstubb

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had a fleeting thought the other day that if I block the return with egg crate and crank up the flow into the fuge that it’s going to be more efficient. This resulted in more water through the return, causing bubbles as it went down the return pipe and through that 45 at the end.

Maybe I just need to turn it back down...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back