Stuck- am I making this harder than it has to be?

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I think I'm done. With the bones, anyway. God, it's hot outside, and this night shifter is up waaaay past her bedtime. Would you guys mind giving this a quick view and let me know if anything needs changing? Thanks so much, you've all been extremely helpful.

Also, you can't upload video straight from your phone, or am I missing something? I had to upload to youtube first, and then link it.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very well made and with either the cross braces against the vertical corner posts on the inside top and bottom, or a screwed on skin, to provide rigidity against side sway you''ll be all good.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys so much, seriously. I really, really wanted to get this right. Now I just have to nail down how I want the outside to look! :D And rest assured, there will be plywood screwed onto the frame on top and around the perimeter- that should prevent any side sway. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find that thread I've seen where people show off all their DIY stands, so I can narrow down designs to skin it. Can't decided if I want to go with a "match my furniture" look, a "distressed wood on a beach house" look, or something different. :p Not to mention that I still have to figure out the doors on the front! If I can find prefab ones in the right dimensions, that'd be amazeballs.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SallyWho look at the pink coloured timbers in the quoted plan. They are all you need to add to your stand and you'll be good.
Also look at the green color boards. They should be cut a little short as they are only for keeping the frame square. All the load bearing boards are the top and bottom boards and the pink boards.

jh2pizza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine unless your running a wave box. Diagonal bracing running at a 45d angle from the legs to the top would help a lot if you are. You would be amazed what a wave box will do to a structure without proper bracing.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very good. The plywood skin will serve the same purpose as cross (diagonal) bracing, so there's no need to do both.
Nice job. Just keep doing what you're doing!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back