Stuck with my mantis shrimp now rolling the dice.

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I was supposed to be rehoming my green mantis shrimp. Completely tore down the tank and and place the fella in a 5 gallon bucket with about 2 gallons of water. Wouldn't you know the guy never showed tank wrecked and here I am with this guy in a bucket! I like the guy a lot but it's relatively aggressive with cuc and don't mind fish and soft coral. Pretty sure you see where this is going..... mantis shrimp in a full on reef. A reef dominated by sps and lps corner to corner. Hopefully the easy nerites are enough to keep its attention and fingers crossed it doesn't decide to start fragging acros.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, there are other options...
1675633054374.png

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when people do that... always wasting others time...

Weird the LFS won't take it... mine get peacocks to sell often. I think your LFS is believing in voodoo...

No fuge or sump area to put it in?

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when people do that... always wasting others time...

Weird the LFS won't take it... mine get peacocks to sell often. I think your LFS is believing in voodoo...

No fuge or sump area to put it in?
Refugium is tiny is only a 45 aio so it's currently in the display area and looks like the six line and dottyback are putting it in its place. The thing with my lfs is they're scared of mantis and pistol shrimp. As long as it continues to be a rock dweller and stay out of the sand bed it should work for a while at least.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium is tiny is only a 45 aio so it's currently in the display area and looks like the six line and dottyback are putting it in its place. The thing with my lfs is they're scared of mantis and pistol shrimp. As long as it continues to be a rock dweller and stay out of the sand bed it should work for a while at least.

Lol the LFS fears are unwarranted. Sillies. Hope he behaves for ya.

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol the LFS fears are unwarranted. Sillies. Hope he behaves for ya.
They have a bad reputation that's unwarranted. Yes a smasher will target cuc but still relative to size. This one can't spent hours trying to break a turbo snail open then gave up on them all together. I'm only worried about it accidentally fragging coral or causing rock work to shift. Otherwise I'm cool with it being there just worried about moving day. Got word from the guy and if he actually shows up I'll fish it out but if not I'll eventually upgrade the system then I can build around a mantis being in a reef.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back