Stuff to feed fish if you are alergic to shellfish.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock nem, a serpent star and a few other things that I would like to feed chunks of something to. I cant touch shrimp, lobster, scallops, clams, crab and possibly other stuff. If I do exciting things happen. It would also get worse over time if I kept exposing myself.
I am even alergic to mysis shrimp but have learned to manipulate the cubes into a small glass and feed it without ever touching it.
I can and do eat fish regularly and am not allergic to squid.
I have some cod I bought to make for dinner and put a piece in the freezer and have been giving them slivers off of it.

What else would be good?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff to feed fish if you are alergic to shellfish.
Rubber gloves?

Fish cannot eat rubber gloves. ;Hilarious

You answered your own question. Or as some folks like to say: The problem always contains the answer. :) :)

Fish and fish-related products like eggs and oil as well as squid are fine choices. Ask @Paul B about fish eggs! (Or run a search for his old posts.)

Consider feeding the live food items he uses too!

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a severe allergy it is best to not have it in the house. Rubber gloves would work but I am human and would slip up eventually. It is the second exposure that gets you.
Ever been in a restaurant and found a shrimp in your chicken alfredo?
I have eaten things that taste like rubber gloves and dont wish that on my livestock. Speaking of squid.

Should I feed salmon or cod. Fish oil for fish. Mix it up? I believe the LFS has frozen silversides as well. I will look for squid at the grocery

I expect something will eat almost anything I put in the tank. Just like my dogs eat socks.

FinnyGyrrl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock nem, a serpent star and a few other things that I would like to feed chunks of something to. I cant touch shrimp, lobster, scallops, clams, crab and possibly other stuff. If I do exciting things happen. It would also get worse over time if I kept exposing myself.
I am even alergic to mysis shrimp but have learned to manipulate the cubes into a small glass and feed it without ever touching it.
I have some cod I bought to make for dinner and put a piece in the freezer and have been giving them slivers off of it.

What else would be good?
Believe it or not, one of my BTA's was "allergic" to mysis, krill & brine shrimp. Very great brands. I tried feeder guppies & Rosy minnows, which it not only tolerates, but thrives on. Great color. Switched all the nemmies to feeder fish 3 X's weekly, and they all developed very nice bubbles.
When feeding them, I see serpents & nassarius "stealing" their fish, so try to begin with extra. The fish are cut into Pinkie fingernail--sized pieces, to avoid stressing nemmies.
I freeze the fish in feeding-sized groups, using small baggies, to euthanize them and hopefully help kill any germs. (I read that freezing fish is a very painless end...). Then I just thaw in a bowl of R/o water.
We handfeed to make sure they receive the right amount! Serpents & shrimp enjoy handfeeding, too.
Hope that helps?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back