Stumped

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9590767F-8B06-42D6-A2BC-3F1079048805.jpeg
2- clowns 1-black molly 1-fire fish odd behavior.
Bm has heavy slime coat at times also appears patchy ( heavy spot here and there) comes and goes.
Clowns started to twitch and will nose up to rock as through there going to scratch.
Fire fish last night for the one only time I’ve seen scratches on sand 1x.
No fish show signs of heavy breathing flashing swimming into flow lethargic or clamped fins, noticed 1 clown yawn. “EVERYTHING “ in dt has gone through 76 days min qt all fish were prophylacticly treated with cu and prazi clowns and millet went through metroplex also due to internal parasites on bm and prophlacticly for clowns.
Clowns were last fish addition about 4-5 months ago. Have added snails and 1 small piece of live rock in the last month all spent 76 days in qt, added copepods 2 weeks ago they came from a private seller and I asked how he raised them he said he used fresh saltwater in his rearing system. However Molly showed these symptoms before pods were added.
Bm has shown these symptoms on and off for last 1-2 months I gave her a fw dip to reveal nothing. Signs come and go.
Have treated ick before and it’s definitely not ick not velvet, possibly flukes ? Any ideas?

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some Prazi resistant strains of flukes around. If I'm reading correctly, you did a FW dip on the molly, correct? Have you FW dipped the clowns?
Yes on the molly No on the clowns
Not since the clown has been in the dt. Both clowns in qt had what I would consider a prazi resistant fluke , I would treat with prazi 6 days later treat again after the prazi was out of the water the clowns would start to shake and scratch so I changed the treatment to a fw dip dosed prazi to qt 6 days later fw dip and dosed prazi again 6 days later wc and observed no shaking or scratching for a week or so then added to dt

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this Is something I did suspect early on however it does look different than brooklynella it is not heavy slime coat that appears to sluff of like brook it is mor like small patches of opeque colored slime coat the size of a single scale as though one scale is infected and the surrounding scales or ok

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this Is something I did suspect early on however it does look different than brooklynella it is not heavy slime coat that appears to sluff of like brook it is mor like small patches of opeque colored slime coat the size of a single scale as though one scale is infected and the surrounding scales or ok

Brook can present in several ways.... it may be a good idea to at least to an acriflavin bath on him.

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I got my qt up and running today (thanks to cycled media) and fw dipped the mollie 6min nothing came off her I added her to my qt and my next step was going to treat with a Paraguard bath. Here’s what I’m thinking Paraguard is a mild anticeptic, bacterial ,fungal, parasitic bath that will help to cover all avenues.
1 hr bath tomorrow let her rest 48 and treat again and then observe for improvement if this don’t do it my next step was going to be a little more aggressive Med and use furan2. My thoughts are this is not parasites it may be bacterial, it does not display Normal Bacterial signs such as open sore And red or white discoloration of the tissue however it does display cloudy individual scales.
Mollie is acting normal after the move breathing normal no clamped fins no scratching or flashing, clear eyes. All opaque or cloudy scales still remain unchanged after fw dip. Melypr1985 or humblefish your thoughts. Or anyone else it’s appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: mollie was moved to a qt fw dipped (no flukes) day 2 she got a 1 hr bath in Paraguard then added back to qt. Day 3 observed mollie and the patch’s were less visable so I started dosing 5 mls of Paraguard to the qt rather than giving another bath I done this for 7 days. mollies patches were gone on about day 4 continued with a 7 day treatment today I moved her back into the dt, I was going to give her 7 more days of observation before moving her but my bio filter in the qt wasn’t strong enough to keep her in there and I’m leaving town, tank sitter would not know how to deal with problems that might arise so to be safe back in the Dt. Any ways still don’t know what it was on her but the fw dip and Paraguard bath seemed to do the trick.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back