Stupid accidents that you have made...

Shaummy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that sticks out in my mind the most is that I use a Python rig to remove my water from the tank during a water change. If you aren't familiar, you attach a siphon device to a faucet and the venturi effect pulls the water from the tank.

I use a laundry tub for the hook up, except the water seemed to splash everywhere while I was vacuuming. So I just tied a couple paper towels around the thing to keep the splashing down.

I had the cold tap pretty wide open and happily pulling out gunk like nobody's business... then I realize that something sounds strange/unusual.

I go back to the laundry tub and it is overflowing the tub and spread out onto the floor...like a lot! I waded into the room and shut it down....turns out...the paper towels fell off when the got wet...and proceeded to block the drain on the tub!

No Drain in that room so water down the floor vents, wet socks and everything.

To make it worse...it happened again when the drain got blocked but a huge sheet of GHA that I scraped off the back wall of the tank....needless to say I'm much more careful about keeping an eye on the tub now!

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to add this one. Testing nitrates in my coral QT tank.

Wow.. there is like no nitrates! Test again.. nothing. Ok, add a little stump remover. Test again. Really? Nothing? ok, I will google the stump remover formula and add some more. Still nothing? What is going on here, is my test kit expired.. grab the salifert test box.... NITRITE TEST KIT.

SOB! Grab the right test kit, nitrates 40.. water change, retesting... sigghhh

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First...leaving the ATO plugged in during water change. It took 3, yes 3 times to learn not to do that lol.
Second, leaving RODI running. Did it AGAIN last night lol. Maybe a float valve? :rolleyes:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back