Stupid or Crazy? Lye in my kalk chamber.

OP
OP
RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update, no change really. I'm on my second container of NaOH and AFR, coral are growing, no losses to report or setbacks.

My conclusion appears to be the same in that I have a limited 1hr run of NaOH every day to bump pH to 8.3 and my alk is stable about 9.5 dkh.

I'm tempted to do a mix as previously mentioned (for a more stable overnight pH) but also not in a rush.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update, no change really. I'm on my second container of NaOH and AFR, coral are growing, no losses to report or setbacks.

My conclusion appears to be the same in that I have a limited 1hr run of NaOH every day to bump pH to 8.3 and my alk is stable about 9.5 dkh.

I'm tempted to do a mix as previously mentioned (for a more stable overnight pH) but also not in a rush.

Thanks for sharing your journey. It's been about 6 months since your last update. Are you still using NaOH?

And any summary lessons learned to share for folks interested in heading down this path? Thanks!

OP
OP
RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your journey. It's been about 6 months since your last update. Are you still using NaOH?

And any summary lessons learned to share for folks interested in heading down this path? Thanks!
I recently stopped as my pH was starting to maintain much higher on its own (8.2-8.4 daily). Oddly the need for it steadily decreased and if I start again I'd cut the concentration in half or use a more sensitive dosing pump.

The line needed to be suspended above the water away from the sidewall of the sump to avoid buildup and back splash.

Another reason for stopping is my AFR maintains a much higher alk level then is normal... I have only guesses why such as my AWC. They say 7.5 expected but I'm often at 9.5. As such additional alk was problematic.

If I were using a different dosing method I'd consider this or the previous 2 part recipe mentioned. Or if my AFR alk level decrease to their expected range.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back