Stupid question of day (SWOD) : are stainless steel screws reef safe?

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was swapping out a Radion xr30 and I think I dropped one of those little M5 (0.8x8mm) stainless screws into the tank. It happened so fast I didn’t see where it entered or where is might have gone. I’ve searched the floor around tank and of course in the tank but so far I can’t find the dang thing. It’s definitely stainless but don’t know what kind of stainless or what may happen long term if I can’t find it.

Any experience or opinions about stainless in a reef tank?

F813536D-969E-4B25-BDF2-D4CD2F9F4B24.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was swapping out a Radion xr30 and I think I dropped one of those little M5 (0.8x8mm) stainless screws into the tank. It happened so fast I didn’t see where it entered or where is might have gone. I’ve searched the floor around tank and of course in the tank but so far I can’t find the dang thing. It’s definitely stainless but don’t know what kind of stainless or what may happen long term if I can’t find it.

Any experience or opinions about stainless in a reef tank?

F813536D-969E-4B25-BDF2-D4CD2F9F4B24.jpeg
we went with titanium clamps since stainless just takes longer to rust...

It will show up eventually. IMO, I wouldn't worry too much in the short term. Some future pump wearing out and leaching may do more over long term

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. And they are definitely not magnetic and I did turn off lights and pumps and tried to find it with headlamp. You’d think finding a shiny bit of metal in a tank wouldn’t be that hard!

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a stainless screw thats been underwater for years to hold a strainer in one of my reactors in place. I had always planned to pull it at the first sign of rust but its been like 5 years and no rust yet lol

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18-8 (300 series) is the type of stainless and not magnetic as you stated. Don't panic. Get it out if you can but don't wreck your tank looking for it. It's a small screw as well.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not like your tank is going to fall apart from one screw unless the maker of that hardware was using substandard materials in their production? I suspect you will find it eventually. An ICP test in a month should let you know if you need to work harder to find it or be grateful that the screw maker used high quality metal in making that tiny item.

Hopefully it doesn't show up like an old problem down the road
Billie Eilish Vogue GIF by Bianca Bosso

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the quality... the stainless steel made in China is often made with impurities that will rust over time, but better made stainless will never rust.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have another screw of the same type put it in a small container of tank water and keep it wet, if it starts to rust then worry about it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back