Stupid question

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but can Cuprasorb be ran at the same time as PraziPro? I'm newer to this hobby, and the only reason I ask is that, in the past I have always quarantined with copper followed by 3 large water changes. Ran Cuprasorb for a few days and made sure copper level tested at or near 0 ppm. Then treated with PraziPro. This time, however, I have about a 3" long one spot foxface in the 20 gallon qt tank. So in the interest of keeping him under stress for a lesser period of time, this time I dosed PraziPro during the last week of copper and he is scheduled to come out of tomorrow. Can I do, let's say, a 95% water change, add the Cuprasorb and dose the 2nd round of PraziPro? Or will Cuprasorp also absorb thr PraziPro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but can Cuprasorb be ran at the same time as PraziPro? I'm newer to this hobby, and the only reason I ask is that, in the past I have always quarantined with copper followed by 3 large water changes. Ran Cuprasorb for a few days and made sure copper level tested at or near 0 ppm. Then treated with PraziPro. This time, however, I have about a 3" long one spot foxface in the 20 gallon qt tank. So in the interest of keeping him under stress for a lesser period of time, this time I dosed PraziPro during the last week of copper and he is scheduled to come out of tomorrow. Can I do, let's say, a 95% water change, add the Cuprasorb and dose the 2nd round of PraziPro? Or will Cuprasorp also absorb thr PraziPro?
That isn't a stupid question, indeed - I can't even definitively answer it for you.

Prazipro has no metallic ions in it, so Cuprisorb shouldn't be an issue, not like carbon would be. I have never tried it myself though. Can't you just run the Cuprisorb and then pull it and then dose with Prazipro?

Jay

OP
OP

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't a stupid question, indeed - I can't even definitively answer it for you.

Prazipro has no metallic ions in it, so Cuprisorb shouldn't be an issue, not like carbon would be. I have never tried it myself though. Can't you just run the Cuprisorb and then pull it and then dose with Prazipro?

Jay
I can do that. I know the whole "nothing happens fast in this hobby" thing. But I guess ultimately I am trying to rush this along since this fish needs some swimming room and is in such a small tank.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try contacting seachem. I bet they would respond to you and then you could pass on the knowledge to us.

OP
OP

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I contacted Seachem today and was told they couldn't give me a definitive answer. While trying to offer as much help as possible they went to Hikari's website and found that the ingredients in PraziPro are a "proprietary blend". Therefore, there was no way of telling if there are any heavy metals in PraziPro that the Cuprasorb would remove rendering the Prazi ineffective. Thank you Seachem for going above and beyond in trying to get me an answer. I then contacted Hikari USA. I had to leave a voice-mail and recieved a callbac k several hours later. The guy at support there told me he also didn't have an answer because he didn't have a clue what was in their "proprietary blend". After all this I don't have an answer that I can share with the community. Hopefully, someone stumbles upon this thread and has experimented with this combination and can let us know their experiences.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I contacted Seachem today and was told they couldn't give me a definitive answer. While trying to offer as much help as possible they went to Hikari's website and found that the ingredients in PraziPro are a "proprietary blend". Therefore, there was no way of telling if there are any heavy metals in PraziPro that the Cuprasorb would remove rendering the Prazi ineffective. Thank you Seachem for going above and beyond in trying to get me an answer. I then contacted Hikari USA. I had to leave a voice-mail and recieved a callbac k several hours later. The guy at support there told me he also didn't have an answer because he didn't have a clue what was in their "proprietary blend". After all this I don't have an answer that I can share with the community. Hopefully, someone stumbles upon this thread and has experimented with this combination and can let us know their experiences.

I've known John Kuhns, the person who invented Prazipro for 35+ years. He is retired now and didn't answer a message I left for him some months ago about Prazipro.

I know that Prazipro has two ingredients; praziquantel (about 5 or 6%) and then a glycol solvent.

Jay

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prazi pro is just praziquantel with some minor additions i think. praziquantel is a med used for worms in humans too. there is likely just some substance that keeps the praziquantel suspended.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back