Styrofoam irony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SS-Ride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So big fan of your products...BUT, as far as the box charge goes, maybe dedicate a certain amount to researching and developing a container that will break down eventually. Obviously you have to have to plastic bag, but you guys have like nuclear grade styrofoam your shipping your “reef safe” livestock in. Love ya!

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We agree and share the same sentiment. However, any material that needs to be sturdy and retain heat also needs to be waterproof. The caveat is that if something is waterproof, it is not biodegradable. Thanks for sharing your concerns. This is an issue that the hobby/industry needs to address.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We agree and share the same sentiment. However, any material that needs to be sturdy and retain heat also needs to be waterproof. The caveat is that if something is waterproof, it is not biodegradable. Thanks for sharing your concerns. This is an issue that the hobby/industry needs to address.
@LiveAquaria since it seems like you’re concerned about the environment and want to transport fish safely, why don’t you offer a credit if we return the styrofoam box?

Since it’s already packed in a cardboard outer box just put a return shipping label in there.

I’d be happy to return the box and styrofoam container in exchange for $5 credit!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make biodegradable "peanuts" ...usually beige in color. But LA is correct about waterproof... I've worked for 2 large shipping companies (no names plz) ...you should see how packages are thrown about

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We buy frozen raw dog food from Darwin Naturals. They ship in a big styrofoam lined box with dry ice - and a return shipping label for UPS pre-printed. We just send back the whole empty box and styrofoam and they re-use it. I understand that cost is built into the product price but I still like it.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LiveAquaria since it seems like you’re concerned about the environment and want to transport fish safely, why don’t you offer a credit if we return the styrofoam box?

Since it’s already packed in a cardboard outer box just put a return shipping label in there.

I’d be happy to return the box and styrofoam container in exchange for $5 credit!
I was just thinking about this myself, how it would be much more environmentally savvy to add a return label. It would probably cut down on your own supply cost and also save on box fees.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back