Substrate

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! You may find this article (and all of the links at the bottom) helpful:

Personally I would lean away from large substrate because it is easy for it to trap waste and hard to keep clean. Good luck on your adventure!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Large pieces generally used in calcium reactors, not to say it cant be done. Decades ago, Dolomite was used with were larger grain substrate

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome,

The larger stuff does not make a great base to build upon. Also not great for sand dwelling creatures obviously. Harder to clean with a vacuum.

My smaller 60 has Florida beach ocean sand with lots of crushed shells and small pebbles. I think that would be about the biggest I would want to go.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! Large substrate means a lot of fish poop and debris finding its way down and in between it. Good luck though. Send pics!
67D79657-8BDA-4370-AEBD-E4C04E94FBEA.gif
Welcome

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everybody!
I’m new here, and also into reef tanks.
I'm setting up my first marine aquarium (a 125L/33gal cube) and I was in doubt about the substrate.
What experiences have you had, or what can you say about Marco Rocks Bahama Aragonite substrates and Reeflowers Pearl White Sand?
Thanks in advance!
Regards

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReeFlowers Pearl White Sand is a natural, pure white sand specifically produced for aquariums. It containing 99% calcium carbonate, has no synthetic components, heavy metal or toxic substances, and is not chemically treated. https://reeflowers.com/urunler/duzenleyici-ve-temizleyiciler/gravels/PWS7K1?lang=en
Aragonite is a carbonate mineral, one of the two most common, naturally occurring, crystal forms of calcium carbonate, CaCO3 (the other forms being the minerals calcite and vaterite). It is formed by biological and physical processes, including precipitation from marine and freshwater environments. http://www.marcorocks.com/products/bahama-argonite-sand/

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I like a head start and a long term confidence when starting tanks. Live sand really does that for me. As well as at least some live rock. Those two and Dr. Tims and you should have sure success starting up your tank. A cycle that should only last a few days. But dead sand and rock. You’ll might face issues that you wouldn’t with starting out live.

Back