Success gluing frags to overflow, tank back wall, etc?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a bunch of SPS frags in and I am thinking of trying to get a few of them to start growing on my overflows, anyone ever try it?

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tried it but have seen others with the same idea you have done such as red plant and cap growing off there walls I have done it with gsp

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many monti Caps on the back walls of tanks. I even had a pocillipora spawn in my tank and had frags all around the rim of my 75

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing it with a rainbow monti, but I don't get enough light there for some of the other SPS.

CJ

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I foresee is removal once they encrust. With plastic overflows, you probably won't be able to remove them without damaging the plastic. You may want to look into a couple magnetic frag discs to stick them to the back glass and then you can hit them with a razor blade if you ever need to remove them.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool show us some pics!

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL If I could figure out how to take decent pic's with my camera I would, I am about to retire the fancy camera and take my old el cheapo camera back from the kids and use it.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued sps frags to my overflow with superglue. Was the worst idea ever. Looks great, but if you move, extremely impractical. i wish i did not do what i did.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zoas and montis glued on mine. They seem to be doing well!

lt.jpg

rt.jpg

Last edited:

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what happens if it starts impacting the flow? or would it? think it would be nice to hide the overflow

SaltWaterDave

NEPA Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only glued monti's to my glass and so far it's worked out great. I have a Tyree Pink Jade Acro that I'm trying to get to grow onto the glass now.

Here's a pic of my Tyree Seasons Greetings that's growing on the glass now. I put a small mag float under it when I first glued it to help support it and now it's grown over it.

007-21.jpg

Here's my Tyree Undate I did as well.

096.jpg

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I glued a rock to the back wall of my acrylic tank. It makes a neat little ledge that I have a setosa glued to. Should be pretty neat as it grows out - especially if it starts encrusting on the back wall.

I also have a green pavona growing on the back wall. It doesn't stand out too much, though. The lighting is weird where I have it, so it doesn't get a ton of light (even though it is up high). It is a muted green, whereas the pavona I have growing on the rock is a darker neon green.

No pics as the lights are off right now - but I'll try to get one sometime this week.

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I foresee is removal once they encrust. With plastic overflows, you probably won't be able to remove them without damaging the plastic. You may want to look into a couple magnetic frag discs to stick them to the back glass and then you can hit them with a razor blade if you ever need to remove them.

i was thinking the same thing(encrusting), you can always put a thin sheet of plexiglass/acrylic over it and if it encrusts the plexi you can use a razor to scrape it or just cut a square right out of the plexi (assuming you use the thin plexi). ive used the plexi for lots of non tank related stuff and i usually just use a razor to cut it if its not too thick

Back