success rate of Aussie gold torch?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have heard mixed reviews of this coral. so I though i would start a Aussie gold torch 101 thread so maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

lets talk about shipping? are they good? best way to do it?

acclimation what was your way that worked for you?

placement in the tank?with other torches or not? low or med in tank.

lighting and flow.

feeding how often and with what?

success rate of keeping this coral long term.

from what i understand they are a little more difficult to keep than other torches. but once/if they acclimate well in the tank then there good to go?

so if you have had success or failure with this coral please post your experience and be as detailed as possible so we can hopefully understand the needs of this coral better!

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only owned one. I've had it for about two years now went from one small head to two big heads. I accidentally siphoned it a few months back and tore off about half its tentacles and it lived and looks like new now. I dont target feed.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@izzyishh thanks for the feedback and starting off this thread.

good to know yours is going great and even recovered. can you post a pic for us?
what flow and lighting would you say you have?
any special way you introduced it to your system?

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a kinda old picture "4 months " of it under all blue light no orange gel filter. I know with my gel filter it looks Awesome!!!
It is under a Kessil AP700 I would say light is low and flow is medium/random I have Mp40 pumps.
All I did was temp acclimate a quick dip and dumped in the tank
2017-08-21 20.47.52.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are sure cool. Unlike other torches I don't know of any locally that have lasted years, something seems to kill them off and they don't seem to grow new heads very quickly, with hammers they lose heads but get new ones so fast it doesn't matter. I don't think I know anyone personally that has had one develop a new head although I am sure they do eventually.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure supper slow grower in my hands. But its alive and looks good. That's all I can ask for. If you buy one good luck!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a kinda old picture "4 months " of it under all blue light no orange gel filter. I know with my gel filter it looks Awesome!!!
It is under a Kessil AP700 I would say light is low and flow is medium/random I have Mp40 pumps.
All I did was temp acclimate a quick dip and dumped in the tank
2017-08-21 20.47.52.jpg

oh my what a beauty and those acans to!
yeah I am on the fence if I want to try one or not its a lot of $$ for me but I to love torches but might try to find other colors.

ReefNurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post on R2R!
Didn't realize people had problems with the Aussie Gold. I bought mine about 5 years ago in and moved it into a 220 gal reef I set up about 4 years ago. Within about 5 months I noticed it sending out eggs - see first photo and now its at least 10 inches across with about 8 heads. About a year after seeing it spawn I noticed three new AG's growing elsewhere on the rock work. :)
My tank has had its ups and downs and is not always particularly stable. Just been battling a severe outbreak of Dino's and currently dealing with 0.0 phosphates and nitrates but it seems to be going strong. From my experience they seem to like good water flow so they can flail around in the current and feed themselves. They also seem to do better in the lower half of my tanks with med to lower light. All my babies established themselves within a couple of inches of the sand bed.
Have recently transferred two of the baby's into my frag tank and they are doing well. Here's some pics of it spawning, how big it is today as well as two of the babies in my frag tank.

IMG_3840.jpg
IMG_4370.JPG
IMG_2927.jpg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow @ReefNurd that is amazing success with the AG torches! my hats off to you good sir. man I want one real bad just chicken...haha that one you have on the left in your frag tank needs to be in my DT..haha no really...it does

thanks for posting your 1st post here! and welcome to R2R

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post on R2R!
Didn't realize people had problems with the Aussie Gold. I bought mine about 5 years ago in and moved it into a 220 gal reef I set up about 4 years ago. Within about 5 months I noticed it sending out eggs - see first photo and now its at least 10 inches across with about 8 heads. About a year after seeing it spawn I noticed three new AG's growing elsewhere on the rock work. :)
My tank has had its ups and downs and is not always particularly stable. Just been battling a severe outbreak of Dino's and currently dealing with 0.0 phosphates and nitrates but it seems to be going strong. From my experience they seem to like good water flow so they can flail around in the current and feed themselves. They also seem to do better in the lower half of my tanks with med to lower light. All my babies established themselves within a couple of inches of the sand bed.
Have recently transferred two of the baby's into my frag tank and they are doing well. Here's some pics of it spawning, how big it is today as well as two of the babies in my frag tank.

IMG_3840.jpg
IMG_4370.JPG
IMG_2927.jpg

Welcome and great job!

wcroft987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine over 6 years and it has split at least twice. Mine have lasted through a green algae infested neglected tank to my current take where they are flourishing. It’s a bit small in the pic bc it’s night but during the day this one is twice the size. Pic is iPhone with orange glasses in front.

AED2EB8F-247C-46D2-B0EF-C0CC13C22A2A.jpeg

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1789.JPG
IMG_1755.JPG

Mine has been pretty stable the last 6 months I have had it. It is crazy how different they look under the lights. I have mostly frog’s and hammers in the tank and this is the only euphyllia out all of them that will actively eat. He loves his reef frenzy

ReefNurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow @ReefNurd that is amazing success with the AG torches! my hats off to you good sir. man I want one real bad just chicken...haha that one you have on the left in your frag tank needs to be in my DT..haha no really...it does

thanks for posting your 1st post here! and welcome to R2R

Thanks for the compliments! Im working on fragging out some of my torches since the've done so well in my DT. I have a purple tip that also released eggs like my Aussie Gold. Didn't settle anywhere in this case but it is obviously very happy. Grew from a single head about 2 inches to over 18 inches across when 'flowing' in the current over about 4 years. I must have at least 30 -40 heads on it now. Love the movement they display.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great looking pictures in this thread. Do you guys spot feed (if so how often), and what foods?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i finally got one that shipped fine and its great. Mine likes lower light as it was not fully out at close to top of aquarium. Medium random flow seems to be good

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back