Success rate of large maxima clams

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had long term success with these large maxima clams that are available FS occasionally? Are these maricultured or wild?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...
I just lost 2 out of 3 for no apparent reason:(

IronChefItaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large are we talking and you should always know the source of a clam before you buy it. I find that a lot of maricultured or wild clams come in pretty rough shape. One of my local fish stores brought in about 40 small ultra maxima clams. They kept the majority in their sps system that is actually quite nice. Over 6 months, nearly all (3-4) clams distributed to their other smaller display systems perished and I would guess that they lost 1 in every 4 of the others that didn't sell - can't say how the others they sold faired. Another shop brought in some ultra tahitian clams and they had a pretty dismal survival rate. I also read of a lot of trouble with clams from divers den - particularly regarding disease and parasites. Long story short, sourcing your clam is extremely important. If you can get a clam that has been kept in captivity that is the best, otherwise some aquaculture facilities do a really good job in raising their clams for captivity by ensuring the clams carry particular strains of zooxanthellae.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had one success yet with those beautiful Maximas. The wild ones in the small islands reside in very shallow depths and cooler waters, as quoted from Pacific East Aquaculture, so I think that most people's tanks are not well suited for them.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had good luck with "aquacultured" Maximas in the range of 2-4" but anything bigger and wild caught, not much luck. I'll hold off, I was thinking of trying one again and feeding it with phyto frequently but not sure if that's going to make a difference with these Tahitian maximas. Did PEA recommend any specific range(s) of PAR / temp they recommend for these maximas?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cultured ones are in tide pools that are probably not even 6 feet deep at low tide. The temp of these in the south Pacific will be 78, 80 or more. Wild ones could be different with the temp, I dunno.

They used to do better when people had massive amount of daylight or 10K spectrum... they have gotten harder as lights have gotten weaker and dimmer. They would not even balk at 1500+ PAR.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these 2 maxima's for almost 2 years one is around 4 inches long the other around 6 inches. They seem to be healthy and growing. I feed them light, fishpoop, and once a week some Kent phyto and reef roids.

IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my three 6 inch maxima clams a few months ago, doing well. Before that, I had two for 4 years before they randomly died after a move. I tried again immediately after and lost all 3.

I’m no expert, sorry I’m not more help other than anecdotally

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these 2 maxima's for almost 2 years one is around 4 inches long the other around 6 inches. They seem to be healthy and growing. I feed them light, fishpoop, and once a week some Kent phyto and reef roids.

IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG

Very nice! Did they start off small or did you get them while they were 4 / 6"? When you purchased them, were they labeled with any origin?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Did they start off small or did you get them while they were 4 / 6"? When you purchased them, were they labeled with any origin?
They were smaller, they have both put on a couple inches. They were not labeled when I got them at my LFS.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back