successfully raised sexy shrimp fry, pic included

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
babies.jpg
over the past year and a half I have tried to raise my sexy shrimps fry a handful of times failing each time. however with this last batch I changed up a few things and now have many babies that are now around 3 months and 2weeks old. thought id share a pic. thinking about making a breeding journal of my experience but not sure if anyone would even be interested. this pic is from today.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how to make a journal, is there one in this site?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please write up your experiences and what led you to your success in breeding these sexy little shrimp. I would love to give it a try one day and the more info you are able to share, the more success others will have.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome!! I would love to hear more about how you raised them!! :)

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Definitely write up your experience with breeding and raising them. It'll help others, and the more people can raise the better for the hobby as the ones in the ocean will stay there. Great job!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes we need bigger photos and a write up please!

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Definitely write up your experience with breeding and raising them. It'll help others, and the more people can raise the better for the hobby as the ones in the ocean will stay there. Great job!
I've got Peppermint and Scarlet breeder tanks, but the Sexy I'd be really interested in your experience.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a quick breeding journal i whipped together. if anyone has questions and wants more details feel free to ask

Breeding/Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 4/14/2013
Egg Color: Yellow, but become clearer the older they get and eventually you can see the babies inside
Egg Count: around 200
Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 4/27/2013
Hatch Time of Day: around 12am whenever you turn the lights off they seem to only do it when it gets dark
# Days after Spawn: 14 days
Larvae Description: very thin and small

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 74-80 did not need to use a heater its warm where I live
Size of Larval Tank: maybe 1gal. I used a cylinder vase that was around 5-6 inches wide and 10-12 inches tall
Substrate: None
Filtration: airstone/airpump I believe the pump was for a 10gal added valve so I could control how high or low I wanted the flow. don't want it to high or to low. somewhere in the middle is good. you want them to be constantly moving but not swirling around super fast.
Lighting: used my small hang-on led light that I originally used for my 4gal nano
Lighting Cycle: I heard it doesn't really matter about the light so I did anywhere from 1-6 hours
Water Changes: twice a day morning and night around 30-50% each change

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: freshly hatched bbs (baby brine shrimp)
Feeding Schedule: 2 times a day morning and night. they only eat the yolk sac on brine which lasts around 12hours.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 6/4/2013 39 days old. I hear the normal is anywhere from 22-28 so mine were much later then the norm.
Days after Hatch: 39
Date of Settlement End: 6/25/2013 I gave mine plenty of time for everyone to settle however there will be some that never settle for whatever reason. I had 5 that wouldn't make the transition but I added them to the grow out tank just incase and 1 did actually make the change like a week later. the rest that didn't change died off.
Description of Fry: Exactly like adults only very tiny

Grow-Out Tank Details

Transfer date: 6/25/2013
Temperature: 74-80
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 2. gallon rectangle tank
Substrate Details: Bare bottom
Tank Decor: 2 small pieces of live rock one is 2 inches the other about 3inches
Filtration Details: airstone/pump for the first month but then my water started getting cloudy so I added a 2-3gal hang on filter with mesh around intake so babies wont get sucked up or stuck.
Lighting: small led
Lighting Cycle: anywhere from 1- 6 hours.
Water Changes: twice a day morning and night to get rid of old food. I usually do a 30-40% water change twice a day to insure water quality
Age at Transfer: 59 days took longer then the norm

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: switched to decap baby brine eggs. no need to hatch them anymore. after a couple days on decap brine eggs I started to add flake food once a day in addition to decap. over a couple weeks I slowly started to wean them off decap over about a 2week period, and then only fed them flake food and added tiny sinking pellets. eventually I will wean them off the flakes and only do pellets and small pieces of Mysis. as they get even bigger I will wean them off the pellets and only feed brine and Mysis.
Feeding Schedule: morning and night when I do water changes

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill try adding some more pics over the next few days of the set ups i used and of the babies development

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back