Such Thing as Too Many Copepods?

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, I purchased ecopods by AlgaeBarn late last night and was wondering if you can crash your tank adding too many copepods in the tank? It's a 20 gallon high tank. No corals. Tank is 5.5 months old and looks to be starting its ugly phase. I'm working on getting 5 gallon refugium started as well. Can you put these in the fridge like you can tigger pods by Reef Nutrition if I don't put them all in both tanks? I know to dose phytoplankton daily which I did after I added tigger pods on Thursday and they disappeared within two days. Do copepods need a filter or aeriation in general for culturing? Or would an air stone be good?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you cant crash a tank with too many pods. They are self regulating, the population will increase or decrease depending on feed source and predators. It doesn't matter if you add 10 pods or 10 bottles of pods, they will adjust their population themselves.

Your post is not clear if you are trying to culture them or add them to your tank?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, I purchased ecopods by AlgaeBarn late last night and was wondering if you can crash your tank adding too many copepods in the tank? It's a 20 gallon high tank. No corals. Tank is 5.5 months old and looks to be starting its ugly phase. I'm working on getting 5 gallon refugium started as well. Can you put these in the fridge like you can tigger pods by Reef Nutrition if I don't put them all in both tanks? I know to dose phytoplankton daily which I did after I added tigger pods on Thursday and they disappeared within two days. Do copepods need a filter or aeriation in general for culturing? Or would an air stone be good?
i agree with the above post.
New reefers seemingly place a huge importance on pods and while its great to have a biologically diverse tank there is really no need to focus on them. Even when you dip your corals pods will make it into your display and as mentioned earlier will multiply to whatever the system will allow.
I've never added a single copepod to my current system that has been running for 4 years and i've had a fat Mandarine mowing through them for the past 3.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you cant crash a tank with too many pods. They are self regulating, the population will increase or decrease depending on feed source and predators. It doesn't matter if you add 10 pods or 10 bottles of pods, they will adjust their population themselves.

Your post is not clear if you are trying to culture them or add them to your tank?
Both culturing a tank and adding more pods to the display tank. I do have a small pod eater. I’ve been monitoring his weight and feeding him live foods.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back