Sudden Ammonia Spike - no obvious cause…

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think ammonia that high would result in dead pods/crashed culture which makes me think the pod water is somehow throwing test kits off. Very odd.
I’ll do an experiment with the fresh pod water tomorrow after I add some spirulina to it to see if that’s doing something.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for tank pics above I missed seeing those just now

wonderful fish my gosh, delicate

very nice

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anthias might be among the most delicate fish we keep, nice coal mine canaries for cycle threads too

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has plenty of surface area, clean water, healthy fish that are feeding well

if determined to trace ammonia sourcing get a seneye, nothing is believable any other way since we don’t know why Red Sea misfires in so many tanks

in my opinion, based on the adding ammonia thread on prior pages, a truly massive daily input would be required to overcome your tanks ability to process ammonia. A source you could easily smell before adding to tank

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blanking a test kit on non reef water does not apply. that’s missing the metabolites and living materials that cause the false alarm in living systems.

stocked reef tanks dont run zero ammonia, we expect to see some degree of ammonia in every reef tank and ammonia alert threads become subjective at that point

living reef systems have X components that cause Red Sea and api to lag, misread etc but on a seneye those living waters show thousandths ppm nh3 average running or hundredths ppm max as they estimate your nh3 for you live time

off those Red Sea readings we have to take that nh4 level and guesstimate what color it would be if we reduced it eleven times less to get reef-specific nh3, non digital kits are a guessing game, we do not expect a stocked reef tank to run zero ammonia is key in my opinion

Only getting a seneye will be clear, tested on the living water, anything shy of getting a seneye and trying to use Red Sea is this:

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back