Sudden Clownfish death... actions I need to take for my other Fish?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stable params, fully cycled tank.

Clown symptoms (had for two-three weeks):

Closed fins - no
Excess mucus production - maybe? He had a sorta whitish coating, although last morning it didn't really look like anything.
Hiding away from other fish - No
Eating fine(?) - he spat out food that was large, but actively went for and ate food he could fit.
stringy white poop - maybe, i didn't see him poop much, but when I got him it was

what should I do with my other fish? I dont currently have a QT due to space restrictions but was thinking of using a 3 gal bucket with a sponge powered air filter and keeping watch on it while dosing prime as needed if I need to

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont have a QT, i don't know what else you can do immediately. It's already in your DT so it's been contaminated if the fish is diseased. What else do you have in the tank? If it's a fish-only tank you could dose medication directly once you've figured out what the disease is but that pretty much makes it a fish-only tank for life.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont have a QT, i don't know what else you can do immediately. It's already in your DT so it's been contaminated if the fish is diseased. What else do you have in the tank? If it's a fish-only tank you could dose medication directly once you've figured out what the disease is but that pretty much makes it a fish-only tank for life.
idk what id even dose... its not a FOLWR. First step is IDing whatever it was

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tough if a serious problem like brook is in your DT but as you determine your course of action I would suggest Dr. Tim's probiotics. It's a natural bacteria products to help fish immune system. Feed vitamin enriched frozen food too.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some images of this clown using white light and @vetteguy53081 is pretty good at ID'ing the culprit. He'll want to see some clear pictures though.
dont have the clown anymore, when i saw it I was too distraught to take pictures, you might find it silly but I buried it.... anyways it was already mangled by the crabs and snail, so nothing could be noted honestly. I can answer symptom questions best I can though.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tough if a serious problem like brook is in your DT but as you determine your course of action I would suggest Dr. Tim's probiotics. It's a natural bacteria products to help fish immune system. Feed vitamin enriched frozen food too.
could it be brook after 3 weeks? and the LFS qts their fish.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, quick death with whitish coating on fish is what was described. Clowns are known for brook. But the litmus test is if other fish start succumbing quick too. I lost 5 in my tank in 48 hours.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 43

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is a sample pic
This is a clear case of brooklynella. As for white poop- generally signified internal parasite BUT if you’re feeding mysis shrimp, brine shrimp or both, can often mimic the bad poop
As for brook, if any other fish show this, you can give them a freshwater dip in water the same temperature as display tank
Do this for 5 mins which will offer temporary relief of mucus.
You can then follow with a 45 minute bath in formalin using quick cure or 90 minute bath with ruby rally pro
There after treat in quarantine for at least 10 days using the same
Some things you would have noticed:
Refusal to eat
Lethargic behavior
Rapid breathing
Mysis around face and body

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can be brook after 3 days
Wild caught clowns seem more susceptible to it and it BBC starts at gills which often missed until it has progressed

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its interesting, the discoloration looked more spread and slimelike then it did dusty
Still high probability of brook but just depends on what your other fish do now. I would still take basic steps to improve immune response if you suspect any bacteria parasite in your water.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a clear case of brooklynella. As for white poop- generally signified internal parasite BUT if you’re feeding mysis shrimp, brine shrimp or both, can often mimic the bad poop
As for brook, if any other fish show this, you can give them a freshwater dip in water the same temperature as display tank
You can then follow with a 45 minute bath in formalin using quick cure or 90 minute bath with ruby rally pro
Refusal to eat
Lethargic behavior
Rapid breathing
Thanks for weighing in on this.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refusal to eat - eating, chasing food, even on the last day
Refusal to eat
Lethargic behavior
Rapid breathing

Lethargic behavior - maybe the clown? still swimming around the tank and through the column though

Rapid breathing - I don't think it was breathing rapidly

Mysis around face and body - not sure

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refusal to eat
Lethargic behavior
Rapid breathing
feeding LRS reef frenzy nano, other fish had regular poop

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back