DobleVM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hello everybody!

I come with sad news, all the fish in my tank died suddenly and I would like to hear your opinions. We have a 36 gallon tank. We had 2 clownfish, 1 fire goby, 1 royal gramma and 1 shrimp. We’ve had them for a long time, some even 1 year And they were all just fine. We also have 2 bubble tip anemones, 1 GSP, 1 Kenya tree and 1 duncan. All we had for a while. The week before this accident happened, we added 1 pulsing Xenia, 1 palythoa and 1 organ pipe. We added them on a Sunday. They were just fine, every coral and every fish. Other new thing we did was getting a product called Reef Energy Plus Coral Nutrition which we added a spoon to the tank to feed the coral. Everything was just fine. Thursday the person we pay to come check the tank and make sure everything is fine came and he did some water changes. Water levels were fine. Yes, I pay someone to take care of my tank, I have no experience and I find this a little too complicated sometimes, so I’d rather get some help. Anyway, we came back home Thursday night and everything seemed to be fine, fish were acting normal, we did not see anything out of the ordinary. Friday morning we go to work and they all look just fine. When we come back from work I noticed every single fish were dead. Including the shrimp. Some corals and anemones seemed to be acting out or ordinary, they weren’t completely out. We were shocked and sad, since we had some of the fish for so long, they felt like our babies. We tested the water at home with some strips and water was fine. We took some of the water next day to a store close by so they would test it and they said water levels were fine, only thing that was low was salinity at 1.022, which I think is acceptable? I’m not sure. Then Monday the person who helps us came by and tested the water we put aside and said it was fine. I really have absolutely no idea what happened. He did mention that Thursday that the water was a little too hot, so we adjusted out thermostat that same day to always be at 75 while we’re away. Only other thing I can mention that would be related is, that when we open the windows in our balcony, the light hits the tank, but the tank its 12 feet away from the balcony, and its not like it was giving that much light to increase temperature, I guess?

So what do you all think? Let me know if you have any questions. I still cant figure it out.

Thank you Everybody.

08D3C3FB-4065-4508-A7BD-9434CD0E9D0B.jpeg

Never Wash Another Nasty Filter Sock Again!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Hello everybody!

I come with sad news, all the fish in my tank died suddenly and I would like to hear your opinions. We have a 36 gallon tank. We had 2 clownfish, 1 fire goby, 1 royal gramma and 1 shrimp. We’ve had them for a long time, some even 1 year And they were all just fine. We also have 2 bubble tip anemones, 1 GSP, 1 Kenya tree and 1 duncan. All we had for a while. The week before this accident happened, we added 1 pulsing Xenia, 1 palythoa and 1 organ pipe. We added them on a Sunday. They were just fine, every coral and every fish. Other new thing we did was getting a product called Reef Energy Plus Coral Nutrition which we added a spoon to the tank to feed the coral. Everything was just fine. Thursday the person we pay to come check the tank and make sure everything is fine came and he did some water changes. Water levels were fine. Yes, I pay someone to take care of my tank, I have no experience and I find this a little too complicated sometimes, so I’d rather get some help. Anyway, we came back home Thursday night and everything seemed to be fine, fish were acting normal, we did not see anything out of the ordinary. Friday morning we go to work and they all look just fine. When we come back from work I noticed every single fish were dead. Including the shrimp. Some corals and anemones seemed to be acting out or ordinary, they weren’t completely out. We were shocked and sad, since we had some of the fish for so long, they felt like our babies. We tested the water at home with some strips and water was fine. We took some of the water next day to a store close by so they would test it and they said water levels were fine, only thing that was low was salinity at 1.022, which I think is acceptable? I’m not sure. Then Monday the person who helps us came by and tested the water we put aside and said it was fine. I really have absolutely no idea what happened. He did mention that Thursday that the water was a little too hot, so we adjusted out thermostat that same day to always be at 75 while we’re away. Only other thing I can mention that would be related is, that when we open the windows in our balcony, the light hits the tank, but the tank its 12 feet away from the balcony, and its not like it was giving that much light to increase temperature, I guess?

So what do you all think? Let me know if you have any questions. I still cant figure it out.

Thank you Everybody.

08D3C3FB-4065-4508-A7BD-9434CD0E9D0B.jpeg
Can be several things. What is age of tank as there are/were a few occupants in the tank
Was any tap water added for top off?
What temperature is your tank?
What is salinity?
Are you testing the tank or other person?
Would you know current ammonia and nitrate level?
Did either of you place hand in the tank for any reason the night before?
Sorry to hear of experience!

Tamberav

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
What temp was the tank?

Do you have a powerhead? I can't see one.

Do you have a skimmer?

How much surface agitation?

Does the tank have a lid? If so, what kind? Mesh, canopy?

Trying to see if gas exchange/oxygen could be an issue.

I don't suspect disease at all but rather some acute event... (too hot or low oxygen, etc).

Nutramar Foods

davidcalgary29

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Or a chemical contaminant could be the cause of the loss. I've had several deaths in the past when cleaners with bleach in them were sprayed in a bathroom adjacent to a tank with a screen top, and once when someone cleaned my ATO water jug with bleach, and I didn't check for the tell-tale odour before I used it again.

LordofCinder

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Did you talk to your maintenaince guy? Its too coincidental to me. If the maintenance guy worked on the tank Thursday, and the fish were dead 24 hours later, then my first thought is that he forgot to turn on a machine, or forgot to plug something back in, or he accidentally spilled something in the tank.

OP
DobleVM

DobleVM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
What temp was the tank?

Do you have a powerhead? I can't see one.

Do you have a skimmer?

How much surface agitation?

Does the tank have a lid? If so, what kind? Mesh, canopy?

Trying to see if gas exchange/oxygen could be an issue.

I don't suspect disease at all but rather some acute event... (too hot or low oxygen, etc).
The temp in the tank is 77 I believe. I do have a powerhead. I do not have a skimmer. Not much surface agitation. It has a mesh lid.

Now that we are talking about oxygen, I notice that I really don't see many air bubbles in the tank. I'm having a moment of revelation I think. Theres not much agitation and the powerhead that I have I don't see it creates much movement and bubbles. With all the fish in the tank and if it was hot that day it could have caused this.

OP
DobleVM

DobleVM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Did you talk to your maintenaince guy? Its too coincidental to me. If the maintenance guy worked on the tank Thursday, and the fish were dead 24 hours later, then my first thought is that he forgot to turn on a machine, or forgot to plug something back in, or he accidentally spilled something in the tank.
Yes we did, obviously we thought of that. But they said everything looked fine.

OP
DobleVM

DobleVM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My go-to thoughts would be oxygen loss or an electrical issue. Increased temperature will decrease oxygen and stress out fish and coral which would further decrease o2 levels in the water.
That's what I'm thinking. I just replied to another message with what I think happened.

AS
BRS

What are all the ways you "filter" your reef aquarium?

• Chemical Filter Media

Votes: 164 47.8%
  • Skimmer

Votes: 282 82.2%
  • Natural Methods (rock, sand etc)

Votes: 296 86.3%
  • Algae Scrubber/Reactor

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • Rollermats

Votes: 56 16.3%
  • Filter Socks/Pads

Votes: 189 55.1%
  • UV Sterilizer

Votes: 112 32.7%
  • HOB or Canister

Votes: 48 14.0%
  • Ozone Generator

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Coral

Votes: 168 49.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Refugium

Votes: 131 38.2%
  • Water Changes

Votes: 234 68.2%
Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!