Sudden rise in my tap TDS?

Jgro1413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a common thing to happen? I noticed my di exausted super fast compared to normal so I tested my TDS out of the tap and it's coming out around 300 when it used to be 120 a few months ago... I'm going to email my water company as well but I figured I'd see if anyone had any ideas on here . Thanks!

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my city water supply changes their source water depending on the time of year, or availability.
i can see a 200 tds difference one week to the next sometimes.

check your water supply company website to see if they provide details.

J.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.

Water providers can change wells during the winter, or switch from surface to well, or vice versa.

My tap water has 400 tds. It's really hard.

OP
OP
Jgro1413

Jgro1413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, it just sucks now I have to buy an additional membrane to deal with the TDS rise

OP
OP
Jgro1413

Jgro1413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of RO system to you run with TDS that high @nereefpat .
I agree.

Water providers can change wells during the winter, or switch from surface to well, or vice versa.

My tap water has 400 tds. It's really hard.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people have issues with premature exhausting of DI resins due to the quality control from a given company or the filter system not being setup correctly....or just plain ignorance from the end user.
I believe spectrapure is the highest regarded in QC. Their products knock the socks off anyone elses and at a great price.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a DI bypass valve to flush the tds creep out of the RO membrane before pushing all the high tds into your resin? This is a common occurance that exhausts resin rather quickly.
I run my RO to drain for about 3 mins before switching the valve position to flow water thru my resin. A flush valve is near useless.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of RO system to you run with TDS that high @nereefpat .

nothing different than anyone else :)
just make sure your pressure id high enough so the membrane functions properly.

FWIW... i run a spectrapure unit with the following filters

spectrapure 0.2 micron sediment filter
BRS 1 micron carbon block
Spectrapure 90 gpd ro membrane
specrtrapure maxcap di
specrapure silicabuster di

my tap TDS ranges from around 500 to 300...

post membrane it's always below 10 going into the first DI, 0 tds out of the final Di.

J.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a DI bypass valve to flush the tds creep out of the RO membrane before pushing all the high tds into your resin? This is a common occurance that exhausts resin rather quickly.
I run my RO to drain for about 3 mins before switching the valve position to flow water thru my resin. A flush valve is near useless.

OH YEAH! that too :)

i flush for about a minute, then fill up a 5 gallon container for our drinking water, so the first high TDS never gets into the DI.

if i don't have to make RO drinking water, i flush it down the drain until the post RO tds drops below 20 or so...

J.

OP
OP
Jgro1413

Jgro1413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a bypass valve but I manually flush the TDS creep by disconnecting the tube going to my di for a few minutes then reconnect it. I guess my RO system isn't that bad then, I'm getting around 300 TDS from tap and after the membrane it's dropping to about 6 or 7, im just used to lower TDS out of the membrane so that's why I was worried my di would exhaust faster

OP
OP
Jgro1413

Jgro1413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What system do you have right now? I would suggest a Spectrapure 90GPD Select Plus membrane for your TDS...
Right now I'm running an aquafx barracuda with the added chloramine blaster , so 1 sediment, 2 carbon, then ro, then di

Last edited:
Back