suffering from a really bad case of MTS! slap some sense into me would ya?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing on and off since the early 2000s like most of us life moving and what not there where yeats of not tanks but I always came back to one of my favorite hobbies.

my current set up is a nice RS 650P reef that I am stocking! loving it. tank is about 1.5 years old as this point and doing good. except shipping in fish this winter was pretty bad, but that is topic for another time.

I am struggling a bit with wanting more.....
I have always wanted the fallowing tanks:

seahorse tank
high tech planted FW aqua scape
large fish onlt for all thos angels we cant keep in our reef.

I got a small WB a few months ago 2420 for the FW build it's cyceld just needs planting now. BUT I am not sure about going that way.

I am kinda thinking about making a small room I have into a man cave fish room. ( if I can convince the other half) that way i can have both the FW planted tank (or tanks ) and the SH tank. unfortunately getting in a large tank into the room would be way to much work. only way would be removing a window and coming in that way. but that is way above my simple DIY skills and around here contractors are very hard to come by and there charge 75-100/hr if you can find one that will do it and they are booked 6+ months out.

I know I should be content with a nice peninsula reef and I am to some degree. however I have wanted the above tanks for many many years and now that we have a home I am suffering from multiable tank syndrome real bad.

just kinda venting here as you folks know the story. at least once a day I decide to dive in to one of the project tanks but keep going back in forth on what to do then decide on one only to get shut down by the other half. ha

anyway any one have a small fish room with a few tanks in it, that in not in your mane living room?? worth it? not sure having the tanks in different rooms would be a good idea or not.

with everything going on in the world and the supply chain issues not even sure if now would be a good time to even think about it.
IDK I want them all haha

anyone else suffering from MTS?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MTS - More Tank Syndrome? I sold the three tanks I upgraded from.
Hernán Cortés arrived in the New World with six hundred men and, upon arrival, made history by destroying his ships. This sent a clear message to his men: There is no turning back.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing on and off since the early 2000s like most of us life moving and what not there where yeats of not tanks but I always came back to one of my favorite hobbies.

my current set up is a nice RS 650P reef that I am stocking! loving it. tank is about 1.5 years old as this point and doing good. except shipping in fish this winter was pretty bad, but that is topic for another time.

I am struggling a bit with wanting more.....
I have always wanted the fallowing tanks:

seahorse tank
high tech planted FW aqua scape
large fish onlt for all thos angels we cant keep in our reef.

I got a small WB a few months ago 2420 for the FW build it's cyceld just needs planting now. BUT I am not sure about going that way.

I am kinda thinking about making a small room I have into a man cave fish room. ( if I can convince the other half) that way i can have both the FW planted tank (or tanks ) and the SH tank. unfortunately getting in a large tank into the room would be way to much work. only way would be removing a window and coming in that way. but that is way above my simple DIY skills and around here contractors are very hard to come by and there charge 75-100/hr if you can find one that will do it and they are booked 6+ months out.

I know I should be content with a nice peninsula reef and I am to some degree. however I have wanted the above tanks for many many years and now that we have a home I am suffering from multiable tank syndrome real bad.

just kinda venting here as you folks know the story. at least once a day I decide to dive in to one of the project tanks but keep going back in forth on what to do then decide on one only to get shut down by the other half. ha

anyway any one have a small fish room with a few tanks in it, that in not in your mane living room?? worth it? not sure having the tanks in different rooms would be a good idea or not.

with everything going on in the world and the supply chain issues not even sure if now would be a good time to even think about it.
IDK I want them all haha

anyone else suffering from MTS?
I have a fish barn now lol. I think I have it bad lol.

As for multiple tanks, I enjoy it. As long as you time and resources for it, I say do it.

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way to go to help avoid MTS. My wife and I have 7 tanks total (mostly FW) and it would have probably been 15 - 20 but we started selling the old equipment and it helped to curb setting old stuff back up for new projects. With costs rising these days, it really makes MTS unappealing once you have to buy setups new.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Multiple Tank Syndrome is a thing!

harry styles yes GIF by Chelsea Handler

I have a bunch of tanks from reef, FOWLR, species-only breeding tanks, freshwater, and more so I definitely understand MTS. That said, make sure that you take care of you in the process.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was battling that addiction for years, but, now im clean... ;) 10 years and counting....

One tank, and whenewer i caught myself of thinking - just one small, in corner, or frag tank.... I just take envelope where i store all receipts from purchases, look at numbers, cry a little.. And i cool off from this idea.... ;)

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very good logic and kinda was the idea with the RS 650P
But there are always things you can’t keep in a reef that get you thinking…

I have a fish barn now lol. I think I have it bad lol.

yes it all started with the unfinished basement I have. Was working on it and thought it would make a great man cave with a movie room.
but lots of $$ to make it worthy of hanging out down there.
don’t want to neglect the tanks.
How often do hang out in your fish barn?

As for multiple tanks, I enjoy it. As long as you time and resources for it, I say do it.
Yes 100% on this one. A few tanks would be fish but in the end we don’t want to burn out and fade away.

Multiple Tank Syndrome is a thing!

harry styles yes GIF by Chelsea Handler

I have a bunch of tanks from reef, FOWLR, species-only breeding tanks, freshwater, and more so I definitely understand MTS. That said, make sure that you take care of you in the process.
It is a thing for sure! How big is your FOwlr?

I was battling that addiction for years, but, now im clean... ;) 10 years and counting....

One tank, and whenewer i caught myself of thinking - just one small, in corner, or frag tank.... I just take envelope where i store all receipts from purchases, look at numbers, cry a little.. And i cool off from this idea.... ;)
haha this is amazing!!

I am the hunt for a bigger tank myself, cant figure out what size, or where to buy from.....
I have been looking at glass cages 310 for years now. Joe is a great guy talked to him many times.
also like the new Red Sea s-1000

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is a thing for sure! How big is your FOwlr?
I recently traded a 150g so at the moment it is less about the size and more about how many, which seems to be an ever changing number. :oops:

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine until you get so many tanks that instead of having 1 or 2 stunning tanks, you have 10 semi-neglected tanks. Time and energy are the moderators. Keep as many as you can reasonably handle.
My thoughts too!
Why have a few so so tanks when you could have the time, energy and $$ to have one show tank.
there lies the issue.
It is a balancing act for sure.
I often think of it as a time money enjoyment Equation. But the problem is is a very fluid and dynamic equation with no static components. So It’s always in flux.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently traded a 150g so at the moment it is less about the size and more about how many, which seems to be an ever changing number. :oops:
I was just having a conversation with myself about that. more smaller tanks of different biotope‘s versus a few larger tanks I wonder won’t be more work?
Ha

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel this thread right now. I've gone online and put the red sea reefer 250 in a cart at least 3 times in the past week or so, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger since I am worried I will feel the same way as I do now about my 32gal - it's just not big enough :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel this thread right now. I've gone online and put the red sea reefer 250 in a cart at least 3 times in the past week or so, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger since I am worried I will feel the same way as I do now about my 32gal - it's just not big enough :grinning-squinting-face:

yeah I have the new G2 300 in my cart for the seahorse tank.
if the other half would of be ok with it and I coud add floor support i would have bought the RS S-1000 two weeks ago.
My wife keeps me on the straight and narrow....nagging is directly proportional to the number of tanks I have.
haha 100% this is SOOOO how it is. they do indeed keep us in check for sure.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine until you get so many tanks that instead of having 1 or 2 stunning tanks, you have 10 semi-neglected tanks. Time and energy are the moderators. Keep as many as you can reasonably handle.

This is absolutely true!!! My FOWLR and 55g mixed reef get all of my attention. The 32g biocube tends to be somewhat neglected. It is also a lot more work than the others (perhaps this is why it gets neglected)

I am currently in the market for a larger tank to replace the 55. Most likely when I get it, I will sell the 55 and 32 and just keep the 2 larger tanks.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is absolutely true!!! My FOWLR and 55g mixed reef get all of my attention. The 32g biocube tends to be somewhat neglected. It is also a lot more work than the others (perhaps this is why it gets neglected)

I am currently in the market for a larger tank to replace the 55. Most likely when I get it, I will sell the 55 and 32 and just keep the 2 larger tanks.
*most likely*

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lol I have learned over the years , now I just like to have one tank that holds all my attention versus many that get semi attention. For me one is enough
What about one system, with a few tanks attached to it?

Back