Suffering from lurkers guilt and tanksiety!

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
giphy.gif

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Its definitely a slow process, well at least it should be to a certain extent. At the same time though it's much easier than what you make it out to be. I just started my first tank as well and its so much easier than how complicated I was imagining it to be. Just take it slow, it took me over a month to get water in the tank after the tank was inside the house lol. It seems like your always thinking I need this I need that but it eventually takes off

Pjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you! I’ve been lurking in local fish stores and online fora for a few years now. This tank give away is the closest I’ll get to actualizing my dream!

Yo yo y'all!!

'Bout time I step out of the shadows and make an introduction. I have been lurking around these boards for well over a year now, soaking up as much knowledge as I can before I dive into my first reefing adventure. As a recent member, I feel obligated to contribute. As my reefing knowledge is minimal, I shall begin with myself.
They call me Oz, being as my last name is Oswald, I have never found complaint in it. I'm an old soul with only forty years to show for it. The shores of Lake Superior I call my home, though Duluth is where my wife and I reside. Carpentry is my calling and cabinet building is my trade. I have spent several year renovating our first home to our liking and updated EVERYTHING! This was the moment I had been waiting for for much of my adult life, time to get that saltwater tank I have always dreamed of (at least the starter tank(dream tank thread forthcoming;Woot))!
I have a deep fascination and appreciation for our natural world and the chaotic systems that make this biological machine we call Earth grind along through the megaverse. The marine environment has always been forefront in that wonderment. I have been to many of the major aquariums in the US in my travels and a marine biologist was a dream job as a kid, but have yet to take that last step into trying to recreate the ocean in my library. Seeing several people with poorly maintained tanks and systems scared me off for a bit. I knew I didn't have the knowledge base to set anything up. There has been a 75g tank/stand that I got for free sitting in my garage for over five years, but with upcoming renovations and pure ignorance, I just have not been ready. I want to be able to provide the best environment for my future creature friends that I possibly can. I believe in proper animal husbandry and am great with cats and dogs, but that comes from a life of experience and centuries of human knowledge. And here I am am trying to bottle up one of the most chaotic and little understood systems on the planet!?!?! And what are some of the ecological risks/benefits to this enthralling hobby!?And hot diggity do the receipts pile up!Hence tanksiety....
But luckily in my quest for knowledge I kept stumbling into R2R. This community is amazing! The people here are as diverse and brilliant as the creatures we care for. With the information and opinions and knowledge and anecdotes available amongst this group, I have developed the confidence to embark on what I hope to be a life long enjoyment. The tank no longer sits holding drift wood in the garage. I have begun my first build!!!!! I do indeed plan on starting a build thread of my DIY "budget" KISS 75, as some realtime input would always be welcome. I am progressing slowly and meticulously, my finish carpentry kicks in when it will be a display piece in my home. I know that the inhabitants will be grateful and I will have greater success and thus enjoyment by putting in the time.
I hope to be an active member, and eventually contribute to this great resource. Most of the questions I've had and solutions I've needed have been addressed somewhere on these forums, but I certainly feel free to drop a line in the right direction here. Thanks for being such a welcoming bunch! keep at it R2R!

Reef Hard Y'all!

OZ
lizi

Back