glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
yes please to which i might educate myself glennf
Sorry guys,
I share knowhow about how things work so people can understand how they use it.

But sharing recipes is a no go for me

We need our LFS to be the centre of gravity to make our hobby evolve and sustainable.
That's why i encourage LFS and hobbyist to work together to keep our hobby exciting in the long run.

im_jeremy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sorry guys,

We need our LFS to be the centre of gravity to make our hobby evolve and sustainable.
That's why i encourage LFS and hobbyist to work together to keep our hobby exciting in the long run.
Seriously. . .. I don't even have am LFS. I have been googling for hours and can't even find a hint of info on vs mixtures. I've used vinegar in the past with ok results. However, my nitrates have crept back up due to a lack of po4. I have since been dosing po4 and the fuge is growing with SLOW results on the no3. I dose to 25~ppb phosphorous nightly and it is 0 by the next afternoon. I also change 20% weekly. N03 has dropped from 30 to 25 in the past 4 months of this regiment. Time to do something else.. I always try to do all the research I can, but some guidance on this would be nice, since you seem to have it figured out and accomplished it successfully. An article, link, something. Do I need to calculate the carbon content of each and the total dose of carbon in the mixture?

I really don't want to pay red sea for the no3po4x if it is just vsv.

Last edited:

MaxTremors

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sorry guys,

I really don’t understand this. I fully agree that a thriving LFS is integral to keeping the hobby going. But hobbyists sharing their knowledge, diy successes, and livestock are just as (if not more) important. The threat to local LFSs isn’t hobbyists sharing info and diy ideas/recipes, it’s online retailers undercutting them on dry goods and livestock (both in price and convenience).

You don’t have to share your recipe, it’s your prerogative to share it or not, but there are plenty of carbon dosing regimens out there that are easily found on the internet, so it’s not like keeping your recipe to yourself is going to encourage someone to buy some NO3POX at the LFS (they’ll just use vinegar, vodka, buy it online, or worst nuke their tank by dosing sugar just trying to wing it or from getting a bad recipe elsewhere). It just seems like a really strange ethical stand to make (and in a way it’s a little hypocritical, you won’t give out your recipe because you want people to buy stuff from the LFS, but you’re not buying it from an LFS). I could understand it (I wouldn’t necessarily agree with it, but I could at least understand it) if you didn’t want to share it because it’s a potentially risky thing to implement and you don’t want to be responsible for anyone killing their tank, but the whole LFS reason is just bizzarre and comes across as gatekeeping.

I don’t buy livestock online for the most part (shipping is unreliable where I live), and try to support my LFS as much as possible, but diy is one of the cornerstones of the hobby, the hobby wouldn’t be where it is without the diy scene and hobbyists sharing what works for them.

Again, its your prerogative whether or not you want to share it, I have no desire to add sugar to my carbon dosing regimen (vinegar as per the dosing schedule that everyone uses)but it just struck me as just a really strange ethical stance to take.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
One thing to keep in mind is formulas created by companies and sold in LFS make big claims and a lot of time come up short of the goal they claim example I purchased one of tropic marins formulas and used it with the intent of lowering No3 primarily and maintaining Po4 I used their formula or product they suggested to accomplish this what I found was just the opposite it Lowe’s Po4 drastically and barely touched No3 what I found was I had to add Po4 every other day or it would hit 0.00 the other thing I realized was the formula was also adding K trace. Now here’s the thing I want to lower No3 I buy from a reputable source and I get Po4 bottoming out causing me to add phosphorus, k elements I don’t need and cyano keep in mind I started my dose at .25 mls for 60 gallons of water slowly raising the dose to 1.25 mls over several months hoping to see the No3 start to reduce but all I accomplished was adding Po4 and trying to rid my tank of cyano. So as hobbyists if we have a better way why not share.just my .02.

MaxTremors

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
One thing to keep in mind is formulas created by companies and sold in LFS make big claims and a lot of time come up short of the goal they claim example I purchased one of tropic marins formulas and used it with the intent of lowering No3 primarily and maintaining Po4 I used their formula or product they suggested to accomplish this what I found was just the opposite it Lowe’s Po4 drastically and barely touched No3 what I found was I had to add Po4 every other day or it would hit 0.00 the other thing I realized was the formula was also adding K trace. Now here’s the thing I want to lower No3 I buy from a reputable source and I get Po4 bottoming out causing me to add phosphorus, k elements I don’t need and cyano keep in mind I started my dose at .25 mls for 60 gallons of water slowly raising the dose to 1.25 mls over several months hoping to see the No3 start to reduce but all I accomplished was adding Po4 and trying to rid my tank of cyano. So as hobbyists if we have a better way why not share.just my .02.
I don’t really understand using these products to dose carbon. I would just use vinegar or vodka, the titration of dosages is much more precise and slow compared to most commercial carbon sources. Starting at 0.25mil and working up to 1.25 is a lot to start with and the steps up are large. Whereas with vodka or vinegar you start with tiny dose and raise it just a little each week (i dose vinegar and started with 0.6ml and worked up to 24mils over 8 weeks). No bacteria blooms, no cyano, and a massive reduction in nitrates and slight reduction in phosphates.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sorry guys,

I don’t really understand using these products to dose carbon. I would just use vinegar or vodka, the titration of dosages is much more precise and slow compared to most commercial carbon sources. Starting at 0.25mil and working up to 1.25 is a lot to start with and the steps up are large. Whereas with vodka or vinegar you start with tiny dose and raise it just a little each week (i dose vinegar and started with 0.6ml and worked up to 24mils over 8 weeks). No bacteria blooms, no cyano, and a massive reduction in nitrates and slight reduction in phosphates.
How many gallons are you treating at this dose “tank size”

MaxTremors

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How many gallons are you treating at this dose “tank size”
It’s a 28 gallon tank, roughly 20 gallons of water. It’s important to note that vodka is 8 times a more concentrated carbon source compared to vinegar, so dosing vinegar you’re going to have larger doses, if I was dosing vodka, it’d be 4ml. The dosing chart for vinegar is kind of weird though, it isn’t completely linear, the ratio of vinegar to tank volume is much higher at smaller tank volumes. So for instance, at the highest dosage (week 16), you’d dose 61.6ml for a 25g tanks and 69.6 for a 150g tank. I’ve plateaued at 24ml, and will be going down to a maintenance dose of (I’m guessing) 15-18ml.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It’s a 28 gallon tank, roughly 20 gallons of water. It’s important to note that vodka is 8 times a more concentrated carbon source compared to vinegar, so dosing vinegar you’re going to have larger doses, if I was dosing vodka, it’d be 4ml. The dosing chart for vinegar is kind of weird though, it isn’t completely linear, the ratio of vinegar to tank volume is much higher at smaller tank volumes. So for instance, at the highest dosage (week 16), you’d dose 61.6ml for a 25g tanks and 69.6 for a 150g tank. I’ve plateaued at 24ml, and will be going down to a maintenance dose of (I’m guessing) 15-18ml.
How much of an impact does that have on ph? Seems it would cause an adverse reaction

MaxTremors

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How much of an impact does that have on ph? Seems it would cause an adverse reaction
It’s got a very slight impact on PH (just as an example, at most it’ll go from like 8.15 to 8.14) but I dose it in the morning a couple hours after the lights have turned on and after a few hours it’s not an issue. I also dose part two with it (and part one a few minutes before), so that helps balance it out. I’m not too concerned with maximizing coral growth so to me a very slight drop in PH is a non-issue.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
BRS

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 195 40.8%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 211 44.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.1%
noopsyche