Suggestions for a small, powerful, quiet and reliable powerhead for my 32 gallon

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide suggestions for a small, powerful, quiet and reliable powerhead for my 32 gallon. My tank is a biocube, if that helps understand the dimensions I'm working with.

• How many powerheads are recommended for a 32 gallon tank? I'd think with a tank this small, 1 powerhead would be enough.
  • What is the ideal placement of the powerhead(s)?
  • Directionally, where should I be aiming the powerhead(s)?

28432B27-06E8-49A8-A475-58AF9B765A08.png A53E56DE-A5FF-4898-B964-381B80417361.jpeg

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide suggestions for a small, powerful, quiet and reliable powerhead for my 32 gallon. My tank is a biocube, if that helps understand the dimensions I'm working with.

• How many powerheads are recommended for a 32 gallon tank? I'd think with a tank this small, 1 powerhead would be enough.
  • What is the ideal placement of the powerhead(s)?
  • Directionally, where should I be aiming the powerhead(s)?

28432B27-06E8-49A8-A475-58AF9B765A08.png A53E56DE-A5FF-4898-B964-381B80417361.jpeg
Sorry, I didn't mean to include those photos and I'm unable to remove them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend the Nero 3. I have one on my tank and it’s by far the quietest powerhead I’ve ever used. Also have a very nice compact design and the wire doesn’t look ugly in the tank
You have only 1? Where is it located in the tank? With the water coming from the output nozzle at the top left, what direction should the powerhead be pointed?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend the Nero 3. I have one on my tank and it’s by far the quietest powerhead I’ve ever used. Also have a very nice compact design and the wire doesn’t look ugly in the tank
The only thing I don't like about the Nero 3 is that it can't be angled once placed on the glass.

Upvote 0

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 29gal I use an SLW-20 that’s positioned to blow behind the rocks and a SOW-4 that is attached on the back and wraps around the front

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze has very affordable pump that run good. I had two on my tank they ran quiet and without issue. As long as you’re ok with them being in the tank solo’d option
I like the word “affordable”. Not sure what you mean by “solo’d option”??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Upvote 0

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what other powerheads have you used? im looking for the quietest powerhead so any comparison is welcome

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze has very affordable pump that run good. I had two on my tank they ran quiet and without issue. As long as you’re ok with them being in the tank solo’d option
I went with the Tunze 6055, ordered it a few minutes ago. Thx!

Upvote 0

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I have three 20 gallons with two Nero 3s each. I would personally recommend getting two instead of one because the flow patterns is just better imo. As you can set the two neros to run 180° of each other. If you do wish to just get one powerhead, I’d suggest getting the Nero5 instead as this might be handy when or if you do decide to upgrade to bigger tank. Make sure to check that Neros come with a fish guard. The newer batches should come with them foc.

Upvote 0

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I don't like about the Nero 3 is that it can't be angled once placed on the glass.
Mine is located on the front left side. My tank is a Peninsula so i have it there to produce almost a whirlpool effect. Honestly angling it is kind of unnecessary because it produces an undertow similar to a vortech. This ensures all areas of the tank are getting adequate flow

Upvote 0

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what other powerheads have you used? im looking for the quietest powerhead so any comparison is welcome
Vortech is the main one. They’re quite noisy. I’ve also used a marine land and a koralia. Koralia is pretty quiet but they tend to get things caught in the impeller easily which can produce noise, plus they just don’t last as long. In my opinion, the vortech produces slightly better current but the Nero is significantly quieter and cheaper

Upvote 0

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortech is the main one. They’re quite noisy. I’ve also used a marine land and a koralia. Koralia is pretty quiet but they tend to get things caught in the impeller easily which can produce noise, plus they just don’t last as long. In my opinion, the vortech produces slightly better current but the Nero is significantly quieter and cheaper
Have to also add on that Neros are really easy to clean. You can take apart the propellers easily for cleaning.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back