suggestions for an aio desktop tank? 15gal or less

reeferlurker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
title pretty much says it. looking to get a 15gal or less desktop aio reef tank. any suggestions for both the package and livestock?

OP
OP
reeferlurker

reeferlurker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval EVO 13.5 plus a heater and 4 small fish. Popular fish choices include clownfish, gobies, dottybacks, basslets and firefish.

That one looks pretty slick. Thoughts on a skimmer on that size reef? is it necessary at that volume if i am consistent with water changes?

seant2h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had an evo 13.5 and no skimmer for 1.5 years and all is well. I have the intank media baskets with filter floss and use chemipure blue if phosphates start to climb. There’s probably better a tank at this size but I think it’s hard to beat for the all in price of this tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one looks pretty slick. Thoughts on a skimmer on that size reef? is it necessary at that volume if i am consistent with water changes?
You can. The Fluval Mini skimmer just fits into a cutout on the lid in the rear chamber and it's something you can add at any time.

OP
OP
reeferlurker

reeferlurker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had an evo 13.5 and no skimmer for 1.5 years and all is well. I have the intank media baskets with filter floss and use chemipure blue if phosphates start to climb. There’s probably better a tank at this size but I think it’s hard to beat for the all in price of this tank.
Okay cool, wasn't really wanting to run a skimmer if i could avoid it so i am glad to hear you have had success. I'm definitely liking the look on this and the price is great. what do you stock in your tank?

OP
OP
reeferlurker

reeferlurker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can. The Fluval Mini skimmer just fits into a cutout on the lid in the rear chamber and it's something you can add at any time.
any thoughts on the fluval skimmer line if I do decide to run one at some time? I know you can't ask much of that size but curious if they do a decent job

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any thoughts on the fluval skimmer line if I do decide to run one at some time? I know you can't ask much of that size but curious if they do a decent job
They do a decent job for the price - and they integrate seamlessly into the tank. As I said, it's something you can quite easily add in mere minutes at any time down the road. Depending on the number and size of fish it's something you may not even need.

seant2h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool, wasn't really wanting to run a skimmer if i could avoid it so i am glad to hear you have had success. I'm definitely liking the look on this and the price is great. what do you stock in your tank?
I have two clowns, a lawnmower blenny and a med size cleanup crew of hermit crabs and a variety of snails. If I were to do it again I’d still buy the intank baskets and AI prime which is great and the flat aqua el heaters fit great too. If I were to change one thing I’d stick with the stock return pump and nozzle and try an AI Nero 3 bc I went with sicce return pump and vca nozzle which does work well but I’d like to try a small powerhead in the tank.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Evo 13.5 is simply the best value out there. A small blenny like a tail-spot or bicolor would go great with a pair of clowns and maybe a springeri damsel.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 fluval evos currently. One houses a pair of platinum snowflakes, bangaii cardinal, and small goby. The other I got used recently and I plan to stock it with a fumanchu lion and a lyretail hawkfish.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
title pretty much says it. looking to get a 15gal or less desktop aio reef tank. any suggestions for both the package and livestock?
waterbox peninsula mini 15. Literally have it on my desk.

Stockings and stocking plans:

Ton of snails, a few other ornamental inverts

Firefish

tailspot (maybe pink-streaked instead?)

Dracula goby and randall's pistol (the "showoff" fish. I think with a tank this small its alright to splurge and get a showy fish)

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received last night a Peninsula 17, and the updated cube (17 gallon) from @Tenecor Aquariums

The build quality on these tanks is spot on, and they have some nice features you don't get with EVO. Now the EVO does come with a light, the Tenecors do not.

The Tenecor however, has a blacked out sump portion to the AIO, and the actual space within the sump portion is usable, not cramped. I plan to post some images later tonight. It is also acylic, so it's light compared to the glass tanks. I'm really liking the look of the included lid and integrated feed hatch on these tanks as well. They are nice looking tanks!

It may not be the route you choose, but it's worth considering.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received last night a Peninsula 17, and the updated cube (17 gallon) from @Tenecor Aquariums

The build quality on these tanks is spot on, and they have some nice features you don't get with EVO. Now the EVO does come with a light, the Tenecors do not.

The Tenecor however, has a blacked out sump portion to the AIO, and the actual space within the sump portion is usable, not cramped. I plan to post some images later tonight. It is also acylic, so it's light compared to the glass tanks. I'm really liking the look of the included lid and integrated feed hatch on these tanks as well. They are nice looking tanks!

It may not be the route you choose, but it's worth considering.

The Tenecor is 20x14 and comes in around ~17 gallons. So similar footprint, slightly smaller actually, to the EVO, but larger volume if you have the height for it, as the EVO is shorter.

The other nice aspect from my initial look is it comes with a media basket/holder. Which can be switched to a sock if desired, standard 4" sizing.

I still need to dig into the tank more tonight.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back