Suggestions for lights on a tight budget

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now Im planning to add corals to my tank. Currently I use a ZETLIGHT ZA1201 but I ruined it by changing the plug head into my type of plug instead of using a universal converter (huhuhu). So technically I cannot connect the light to my wifi, and cannot adjust any brightness whatsoever. Whenever its on, it just shows a low blue only light which I not know if it can accommodate corals. ( I dont have a par meter). So Im not sure if its enough brightness or not.
Anyways, are there any good quality brands that I you can recommend? Also, a cheap price is what Im searching for cause Im a student and on a tight budget. I dont think I need any special settings like wifi control, customizability etc. As long as its a light that can ensure my corals live, it should be fine.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? Keep in mind that lighting is a very important purchase. On top of that the prices of coral will far outweigh what ever you spend on a cheap light. My advice would be to hold off on coral until you get a light that's good, not just cheap.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure the second hand market in Malaysia, but can you find a good set of aquarium lights used?
Right now I’m trying my best to get my hands on used branded lights. So buying a brand new cheaper light is technically my second option. The market here in my area isn’t that great so it needs a bit of luck

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What size tank? Keep in mind that lighting is a very important purchase. On top of that the prices of coral will far outweigh what ever you spend on a cheap light. My advice would be to hold off on coral until you get a light that's good, not just cheap.
Currently planning on making a DIY AIO tank with the display area being 50cm by 50cm with a height of 35cm. Regarding the prices I think you’ve really got a good point! I’ll be rethinking the whole process again and might just wait to buy a used branded light instead. But if there are any that is really recommended and it also affordable that would be nice!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used AI prime lights: you may be able to find the older versions for a decent price on eBay, or local selling forums. I have the original primes, the HD and a few Hd 16- all of them are good lights. Of course the newer models are a little more powerful then the older models but all will grow most corals.
Good luck my friend!

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used AI prime lights: you may be able to find the older versions for a decent price on eBay, or local selling forums. I have the original primes, the HD and a few Hd 16- all of them are good lights. Of course the newer models are a little more powerful then the older models but all will grow most corals.
Good luck my friend!
eBay or any selling forums are a bit of a dead end for me since I’m living in Sarawak, Malaysia, where this hobby isn’t really abundant. Ebay also doesn’t really ship here and if it does it’s going to take a while and also a higher shipping price. But I might search for the older models regardless though, just in case I have some people selling it locally here. Good idea and thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eBay or any selling forums are a bit of a dead end for me since I’m living in Sarawak, Malaysia, where this hobby isn’t really abundant. Ebay also doesn’t really ship here and if it does it’s going to take a while and also a higher shipping price. But I might search for the older models regardless though, just in case I have some people selling it locally here. Good idea and thanks!
A philzon, marsaqua or viparspectra 165w would be best cheap light that will grow anything. Should be able to find one of those brands.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
Back