Suggestions for next fish

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I have a 50g AIO Red Sea max e170 that I set up and cycled over the summer. I began stocking it in September after I began seeing stable water parameters and currently have the following in the tanks:

-1 juvenile clown
-BTA
-Sea Hare (on loan from LFS- returning once it has cleaned up the algae)
-Various zoas/lps
Assorted snails
-Halloween hermit crab

I have a decent copepod population and plan on adding an in cabinet sump over the summer so I can build it even more and add a mandarin goby.

mim looking for suggestions as to what fish I could add now that would get along with my current stock as well as a mandarin goby to be added in the future.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mate for the clown
Gramma
Firefish
Lyretail Anthais
Orchid dotty
Bangaii Cardinal.
Mandarin

This is a great list other than the dottyback - IME, they almost invariably become Holy Terrors and start killing things for no good reason other than "because they can".

You might also look at a flasher or fairy wrasse, but only if you have a good cover - they can and will jump.
And lastly, a Yellow Watchman Goby and/or blennie of some sort. They have tons of personality (well, for a fish), and IMHO no tank is complete without them.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Would a blenny or watchman goby be compatible with a mandarin? I think they would both hang out on the bottom right?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great list other than the dottyback - IME, they almost invariably become Holy Terrors and start killing things for no good reason other than "because they can".

You might also look at a flasher or fairy wrasse, but only if you have a good cover - they can and will jump.
And lastly, a Yellow Watchman Goby and/or blennie of some sort. They have tons of personality (well, for a fish), and IMHO no tank is complete without them.
Orchid dottybacks are chill. Literally the only dottyback that isn’t a murder factory. Most people think they aren’t because they get the other kind (whose name I can’t remeber) that is identical in color minus the black stripe over the eye. Orchids, especially captive bred ones, are beautoful little peaceful fish. And they murder bristle worms which is a plus in my book.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a top you could put a flasher wrasse in a 50g, from what i know of them they are compatible with everything you listed.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great questions and since my tank is set up similarly (ie I have lots of the fish listed), I’d like to ask about a yellow watchman goby. Lfs says they need a lid-do they? Do they eat pods?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great questions and since my tank is set up similarly (ie I have lots of the fish listed), I’d like to ask about a yellow watchman goby. Lfs says they need a lid-do they? Do they eat pods?
Gobies jump. They for sure need a lid. I have an engineer goby and he eats pods but I don’t know about watchman gobies.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a top you could put a flasher wrasse in a 50g, from what i know of them they are compatible with everything you listed.
I do have a top for mine so I’m looking at gobies. I was thinking of avoiding a wrasse because I want to put a mandarin in eventually and I was worried a wrasse might eat a lot of the copepods.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a top for mine so I’m looking at gobies. I was thinking of avoiding a wrasse because I want to put a mandarin in eventually and I was worried a wrasse might eat a lot of the copepods.
You can put in a flasher wrasse. Some, like the McCosker's flasher, eat out of the water column in nature and won't hurt your copepod population any more than another type of fish.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put in a flasher wrasse. Some, like the McCosker's flasher, eat out of the water column in nature and won't hurt your copepod population any more than another type of fish.
That’s a beautiful fish - I will look into this one

Back